Referencing INDIRECT named ranges in graphs

long0281

Trying to find an easy way to update a set of graphs based on a scenario selected from a drop-down (each scenario references a different range of cells; same number of rows and columns in each scenario, but different values.)

I created a dynamic named range using the INDIRECT function, but when I reference the name in the Series formula, I get an error message. I've tried different syntax (e.g. referencing the sheet name in the named range vs. the Series formula,) but I can't seem to get past the error message.

I stumbled on this Q&A. Apparently it can be done. I've had no luck though.

can I use an indirect type formula within a chart data range? - Microsoft Community

Is anyone able to replicate this functionality?

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
This may depend on the Refers To formula, which you have not provided.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. The Refers To forumla is =INDIRECT(Sheet1!$Q$4). Cell Q4 contains the following: $D$16:$H16.

What I want, is to be able to change $D$16:$H16 to $E$16:$E16 (for example,) and have the graph reference that row instead of the one above it.

Please let me know if you need me to provide any additional information..

Upvote 0
You need to reference the range with the worksheet. Put Sheet1!$D$16:$H$16 into Q4.

There are more robust ways to let a user select the range displayed in a chart. Names are freaky, difficult to create, prone to error, and hard to maintain. Plus, for the INDIRECT, it's a pain to type an address into a cell.

I show a few simple examples of interactive charts in my tutorial Simple Interactive Charts.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I tried that too.. Still get the error message.

I'll take a look at your Interactive Charts tutorial; seems like a better approach anyway.

Thanks again for reply. Your blog posts have been extremely valuable (especially the waterfall chart utility!)
(y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back