Can a spreadsheet update a spreadsheet that is not open

pickwa

Board Regular
Hi Guys,

I have several spreadsheets that need information extracting from them. for example number of entries on certain dates etc. I just wondered if it was possible to make a seperate spreadsheet that could collect the data.
Not a seperate tab a completely different document. The other spreadsheets that i require the data from will always be saved in the same locations.

I am guessing that this is a rediculous request but i just thought i would ask on the off chance that it may be possible.

Thank you in advance

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
i have worked out how to add the code to my document but my excel knowledge is that bad i just have no idea how to write a formula to use the function.
=IF(NOW(),pull('[2013_2014_Record_of_Annual_Certificates_Derbyshire(1)with month totals.xlsx]Count'!$D$7))

this was my attempt at copying someone's example but evidently i do not have th right idea.

Could anyone point me in the right direction please

Upvote 0
to check

firstly you did save the workbook as macro enabled and then reopen it before trying to use the UDF ( user defined function)

Upvote 0
I have now, sorry i bet i sound like a real dummy. The formula that i put in my above post still returns NAME? in the cell. Iam wondering if i am just out of my depth and perhaps i should take a different approach. it would just be so helpful to have all of the data in one place instead of having to open 11 spreadsheets to get at it

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back