Edit Link: How do I locate the link in the file?

This is a discussion on Edit Link: How do I locate the link in the file? within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Hi, Using Edit - link, I am able to see all the source file links in the excel document. I ...

BX
    Board Regular

Default Edit Link: How do I locate the link in the file?

Hi,
    Using Edit - link, I am able to see all the source file links in the excel document. I have the choice to open source, change source, and update..but all I want to do is find where one of my links is coming from in the file. I try edit find and can't locate it, but the link appears when I do edit link.
    Any suggestions?
    BX

MrExcel MVP

Default Re: Edit Link: How do I locate the link in the file?

On each worksheet in turn choose Insert|Name|Define from the menu. For each Name look in the Refers to box for a reference to another file. Delete the Name if you don't need it.

i always had to use the go to function (F5) with the link info. kind of a pain. maybe it would be easier to spot by changing to formula view (Alt + `)??
    Regards,
    Zack Barresse
    Excel & Access blog
    All Excel Functions
    Training
    (If you would like comments in any code, please say so.)

Quote Originally Posted by BX
    Hi,
    Using Edit - link, I am able to see all the source file links in the excel document. I have the choice to open source, change source, and update..but all I want to do is find where one of my links is coming from in the file. I try edit find and can't locate it, but the link appears when I do edit link.
    Any suggestions?
    BX
    Hi,

Check out http://www.robbo.com.au/

Board Regular

Hi Bx,

As well as Andrew's suggestion, if you select all of the sheet tabs and then select Edit|Find and in the Find What box type[*] (including the square brackets), it will go to each of the links in question, then you can delete them.

Regards,

Bill

You may also want to use Bill Manville's Findlink add-in (http://www.bmsltd.ie/MVP/MVPPage.asp#BillManville)

BX
    Board Regular

Hi,
    Thanks for all your replies. I checked all the cells and couldn't find a link. However, I believe the error might occur with the following. When the file opens, it opens another file called: "Template". While in the file last, I saved the Template file as "Template May 12", however, the links still remain as they should with references to "Template". When, I open the file it says it can't locate "Template May 12", I keep trying to find where it is references this, but haven't found it.....could this be a problem with my code:

Thanks,
    BX

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others