Pop up restriction box

ada111

Board Regular
Hi, I am needing a way to have a pop up come up restricting a user from moving on until a certain column is filled. I have a spreadsheet for a doctor's office and it has columns B-J. Columns B-F need to stay untouched. But when the user gets to column G, I need a macro where the user CANNOT move on unless column G is filled. I have a drop down box that lists providers/users and I need a pop up restriction that says "You Must Fill Out Providers/Users First".

Any help will be amazing. Thank you all in advance!

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Hey Rick, just checking back in. I don't get why it isn't working
It is not working because you changed the range it is applied to from the entire column (which I had to guess at because you had not mentioned the restricted range at that point in time) to a restricted set of cells... you have to change the formula to match the range it applies to. Select the range H11:J33, and then use this formula in the Data Validation formula field...

=LEN(INDEX($G$11:$G$19,ROW(H1)))

Upvote 0
Now the box is coming up but it is coming up when I click anywhere. Even when I try to add a new entry or try to do the drop down menu in Column G.

Upvote 0
Now the box is coming up but it is coming up when I click anywhere. Even when I try to add a new entry or try to do the drop down menu in Column G.
Did you include Column G in your selection before you added the formula to the Data Validation dialog box??? If so, you should not have... my instructions were to select H11:J33 (not G11:J33).

Upvote 0
I only highlighted H11:J33. I did not highlight column G. Is there a macro I could put in my visual basic? Because I don't see Data Validation working

Upvote 0
I just did this macro and the box pops up everytime I cell is clicked. How can I tweak it to where it only comes up if column G is not filled out but also where the user can click in columns B:F and the box doesn't come up but if they try to go to H:J with G empty, then the box pops up??

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim i As Integer
If Intersect(Target, Range("G11:G33")) Is Nothing And WorksheetFunction.CountA(Range("G11:G33")) <> 33 Then
Application.EnableEvents = False
MsgBox "You Must Complete Column G First", vbCritical
For i = 11 To 33
If Range("G" & i) = "" Then
Range("G" & i).Select
Exit For
End If
Next i
Application.EnableEvents = True
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
I just did this macro and the box pops up everytime I cell is clicked. How can I tweak it to where it only comes up if column G is not filled out but also where the user can click in columns B:F and the box doesn't come up but if they try to go to H:J with G empty, then the box pops up??

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim i As Integer
If Intersect(Target, Range("G11:G33")) Is Nothing And WorksheetFunction.CountA(Range("G11:G33")) <> 33 Then
Application.EnableEvents = False
MsgBox "You Must Complete Column G First", vbCritical
For i = 11 To 33
If Range("G" & i) = "" Then
Range("G" & i).Select
Exit For
End If
Next i
Application.EnableEvents = True
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oculus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back