Automatically filter based on CONTAINS value in reference cell?

Windy Skies

I have automatically counted the frequency of words in a book. I would like to find the sentences containing the most frequent words, to base a course on. I will reformat the book to have a line-break after every short phrase. Example, randomly picked from Gutenberg.org (in A1:A30000):

THE UNITED AMATEUR for September contains something only too seldom found in the amateur press; a really meritorious short story.
"The Shadow on the Trail," by Eleanor J. Barnhart, possesses every element of good fiction; a substantial and really interesting plot, a logical development from beginning to conclusion, an adequate amount of suspense, a climax which does not disappoint, and a praiseworthy degree of local colour.
Besides all of which it is fluent in language and correct in syntax.
The rest of the literary department in this issue is devoted to verse.
"To a Friend," by Alice M. Hamlet, is particularly pleasing through the hint of old-school technique which its well ordered phrases convey.
The one weak point is the employment of =thy=, a singular expression, in connexion with several objects; namely, "paper, pen, and ready hand.
" =Your= should have been used.
The metre is excellent throughout, and the whole piece displays a gratifying skill on its author's part.
"The Path Along the Sea," by Rev. Eugene B. Kuntz, is a flawless and beautiful bit of sentimental poetry, cast in fluent and felicitous heptameter.
"Dad," by Horace Fowler Goodwin, is decidedly the best of this writer's pieces yet to appear in the amateur press.
The defects are mostly technical, including the bad rhyme of =engaged= and =dismayed=, and the overweighted seventh line of the final stanza.

I would like to change the text in B2, to "poem" for example and have the list in A1:A30000 be filtered in place to only display those phrases containing "poem".

Perhaps there are other, better alternatives? I don't think I can make vlookup work.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
...I would like to link some 1000 words with their (multiple) phrases. If someone has an answer for the above, I could make an Autohotkey script to automatically paste the words in the B2 cell and copy the result to Notepad.

That still takes some time and repetitive action. Ideally, but I have no idea how to do this, Excel could do this automatically: based on a list of a 1000 words, generate a multiple-column table (word, associated phrase #1, associated phrase #2, ...., associated phrase #6 )

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back