conditional formatting a cell value

chariot

Board Regular
hi I have looked on Excel help for this but can't seem to find an answer. I am trying to conditonal format some cells. What I have is a symbol in say cell D9 and a number in D10. the symbol and number in both cells are generated by a formula.
What I need to say in my conditional formatting is "if D9 is "x,y,z etc" then make red, green etc... However, because the symbol is generated by a formula, I can't just put D9="x,y". I was thinking of maybe a value formula but not sure how to use it?
Hope this is clear?!
:eek:

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Hello,

Perhaps some more information would be helpful.

But,

in D7 enter 1
in D8 enter 0
in D9 enter = D7+D8
in D10 I have the formula =IF(D9=1,"x",IF(D9=2,"y","z"))

on this cell I have conditional formatting

Cell Value is equal to "x" and format as required.

Do the same for Y and Z.

Is this any help or have I missed the point completely?

Upvote 0
Thanks for this, but the cell that I want to conditional format already has the formula in, as does the one above it (D9 & D10), so I need the formula in the conditional formatting box. I'm finding it really difficult to explain!

Lets try: D9 has a choose formula to put a symbol in if it meets certain criteria.
D10 has another formula in relating to another work sheet to show numbers.

I have conditional formatted the symbols in D9 to show red, green or black depending on what they are (simple cell value = "x" so green).
I want to conditional format the numbers in D10 to be red, green or black depending on the symbol in D9, but because they are generated by a formula, I can't just put D9="x" so green.

Does this make sense?!!

Upvote 0
Format | Conditional Formatting

{Cell Value Is} {Equal To} = "x,y"

Upvote 0
Hi, that still does not work because the cell value is not the cell i'm conditonal formatting? Thats the formula that I have in D9 - on the symbols. I'm formatting in D10 but the cell value I want to use is in D9?

Upvote 0
Thank you so much!!!!!!! O wise one (y)

I did not think that would work so I never tried that, as I though you just used $ to make the cell references stay put when dragging or pasting.

Many thanks again.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I meant I never tried it before asking for help here, as obviously I have just tried it and it worked.....! Thanks :oops:

Upvote 0
chariot said:
Thank you so much!!!!!!! O wise one (y)

I did not think that would work so I never tried that, as I though you just used $ to make the cell references stay put when dragging or pasting.

Many thanks again.

You're Welcome (y)

Take Care

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back