Delay formula calculations, until I press F9

anthonycrockford

Hi,

My question is:
Is there a way to enter a formula into a cell, without having Excel calculate that value until I press F9?

My problem is:
I am trying to solve a series of equations with Excel (XP) with many cell references, and two of the cells contain circular references. I have Excel set to "manual calculation" and I was hoping that I could enter formulas into all the cells, then press F9, and have Excel iterate to find a solution.

However, when I enter the formulas into the cells, and press ENTER, that formula is calculated immediately. This means that by the time I have all the cells filled, several have incorrect values. When I press F9, Excel immediately returns a value of #NUM. I don't know how to stop this.

I have performed the calculations in another program, and it could solve quickly, but my professor wants the solution in Excel. The only difference I can see between the two programs is that the other program leaves all calculations until the end.

So:
Is there a way to enter a formula into a cell, without having Excel calculate that value until I press F9?

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
How about Tools>Options>View then setting formulas to show

Upvote 0
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but Excel is already set to "Manual Calculation."

I'm trying to stop Excel from calculating a formula when I press ENTER and move on to another cell. I would like Excel to remember the formulas, but not calculate values for several cells, until I press F9.

Upvote 0
anthonycrockford said:
I just tried setting it to "View" formulas, but I get the same result. All my cells read "#NUM."

Just curious: What is the formula that ends up in #NUM error?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back