Add multiple series to a dynamic chart from the same data table

anirbas

I have a large amount of data stored in a table that is used to update about 8 charts (through named ranges). Each chart has the date and ID as the x-axis with a particular parameter being charted. Each column of the table has its own named range which allows this to work and for the charts to update as more data is added.
This all works great, but now the end user is requesting that one of the series on the charts is broken down into some other series. For example my data could be:
DateIDSourceParameter 1Parameter 2Parameter 3
7/21/1511Boston12555.25
7/21/1512New York10535.05
7/21/1513Boston10.2575.16
7/21/1514Albany12544.95
7/21/1515Vermont15565.62
7/22/1511Albany14.3535.34
7/22/1512New York11.2555.80

<tbody>
</tbody>
Currently, all this data is being charted as one series, but now I would like to have different series for each of the sources. Since there is so much data, I would really rather not have to sort it and manually edit the source data for each of the charts as this would be very time consuming. Does anyone have any solutions on how to separate the named range based on the value in a particular column?
To add a visual of the chart I am trying to edit:
ZD3Hj.png

The table above is a simplified version of the data. The charts themselves include data from multiple worksheets, but the series I would like to add would be a breakdown of the Cities series shown above.
Any and all help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Hi anirbas,

that's a toughy, my first instinct yells "pivot table with slicers", the second thought is "peltier". One column/series of data can't be split by a chart into several sub-series AFAIK, so you'll have to take another path.
1) pivot table with slicers -> this would mean a level between your data and the chart where you give the user slicers to select certain periods/sources etc.
2) John Peltier has plenty of creative charts, e.g. VBA Conditional Formatting of Charts by Category Label - Peltier Tech Blog It will require some VBA, but then you could color the points in your chart by label (source)

Hope that helps,

Koen

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back