Activex Combobox - VBA Code not running

eoinymc

Board Regular
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can help me.

I have an excel report that uses activex comboboxes and triggers VBA when they are changed.

The issue I have is that since MS rolled out an update earlier in the year, the report runs fine on some of the machines in my organisation, but doesn't on others...

Does anyone know of any setting or anything like that that I can change to see if it works? Or are there any temp files to be deleted or anything at all...it really is a hindrance for me at the moment as the report was used extensively for decision making around the org.

Thanks in advance,

E

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Which fix are you trying to run and which version do you have? You can simply delete the .exd files yourself if all else fails, but you do have to do it on all the machines. Better still, replace the activex with Form controls or data validation dropdowns. ActiveX controls on worksheets have always been unstable.

Upvote 0
If the problematic update was only rolled out on some machines then, if a user on one of those machines saves a workbook, users on machines without the update won't be able to use that workbook.

So basically, if all machines have the update, then you should be able to run the fix Rory suggested on all machines and then all will be OK.
If only some machines have the update then the fix won't be any good. You'll need to replace the ActiveX controls with Forms controls (as Rory suggested too). The caveat is that, if a workbook was last saved by a user with the update installed, the ActiveX controls in that workbook can only be deleted by a user on a machine where the update is installed.

I don't know if I explained that particularly well; I blogged a more verbose version here.

Upvote 0
Which fix are you trying to run and which version do you have? You can simply delete the .exd files yourself if all else fails, but you do have to do it on all the machines. Better still, replace the activex with Form controls or data validation dropdowns. ActiveX controls on worksheets have always been unstable.

I have already deleted the .exd files on these machines, but it still won't work...

I'll just re-engineer the report to use form controls as you have said...I just didn't want to have to do this as it is quite a large report and are a lot of triggers.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uzair Tahir Khan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back