How do I Extract Multiple Rows using Index and Match

Nikki225

Board Regular
I have a spreadsheet where I'm tracking Employee Salary History information on one sheet and have a summary page on another sheet.

There are 3 columns on the Employee Salary History Information Sheet: Date, Description and Amount

On the Summary Page, I have a drop down box in cell B1 that allows me to select the employee name and I use VLookups to pull in the Hire Date, DOB and other relevant employee information.

I'd like to add an area to the bottom of this that will pull in the Date, Description and Amount from the Employee Salary History Information Sheet for the specific employee.

I don't have experience with array formulas and it seems like this would be the best solution for what I'm looking for.

Could you please help me with the formula?

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Hi Nikki225 - Welcome to the forum. Try this LINK

Click on View As: One Page

It has a very good explanation of INDEX and MATCH used together. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Hi Nikki225 - Welcome to the forum. Try this LINK

Click on View As: One Page

It has a very good explanation of INDEX and MATCH used together. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response. Where I need additional explanation is how do I change the formula when there are multiple matches?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ok I finally figured it out!

=IFERROR(INDEX(salary,SMALL(IF($B$1=Sheet3!$B$2:$B$25,ROW(Sheet3!$B$2:$B$25)-MIN(ROW(Sheet3!$B$2:$B$25))+1,""),ROW(A7)),COLUMN(A7)),"")

I wasn't completely understanding the syntax and how to move it to the other columns.

Upvote 0
Ok I finally figured it out!

=IFERROR(INDEX(salary,SMALL(IF($B$1=Sheet3!$B$2:$B$25,ROW(Sheet3!$B$2:$B$25)-MIN(ROW(Sheet3!$B$2:$B$25))+1,""),ROW(A7)),COLUMN(A7)),"")

I wasn't completely understanding the syntax and how to move it to the other columns.

I don't think this is a well-devised formula...

In which cell are you implementing this formula?

Upvote 0
My salary history table is on sheet 3 and I'm using this formula on sheet 1 starting in column A, row 10.

Upvote 0
On sheet 3, it is A2:D25. The range excludes the headers but the 4 columns contain: Date, Employee, Description and Amount

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DumbFinanceBro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back