Index, match multisheet formula error

Orrie

Hi,

I have a workbook in which sheet 1 holds my customer info and has a list of columns with months. Sheet 2 and beyond contains the same customer list with a value in a column per customer that represents the usage amount for that customer for that month.
In sheet 1 in want to fill these month columns with an index match formula that checks the customer row in sheet 1 with the customer row in sheet 2 and beyond and returns the usage amount per customer.
The formula I figured for this is =INDEX('JAN2015'!D:D,MATCH('BACKUPOVERZICHT'!C3,'JAN2015'!N:N, 0))
In my view this should use column D in sheet JAN2015, use the value in C3 in the sheet BACKUPOVERZICHT and use column N in sheet JAN2015 to return the correct value. For the next row this should be C4 as search value.
I however seem to keep getting a formula error on the D,MATCH part and I don't get what's wrong with the syntax. I've added extra () and $ or a specific range in the columns but nothing seems to fix my formula. It just keeps giving me an error that I haven't entered a formula.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Welcome to the board!
Here's a way to think of the INDEX/MATCH thing:

=INDEX(GoalRange,MATCH(LookupValue, RangeToMatchLookupIn, 0))
So if you're looking for your formula to produce the stuff that's in JAN2015!D1:D100000, as it relates to OVERZICHT C3, in the range JAN2015!N1:N100000
You're on the right track. However, since you're here, that's probably not the case. I hope my explanation helped some, though.

Here's a site I reference often when I'm putting these together:
How to Use INDEX MATCH

Upvote 0
I've managed to figure a part of the problem. Because my excel is dutch I had to use ; instead of , as seperator. The formula now works in a single sheet so the syntax is correct. I copied the cells to columns T and U and this syntax works: =INDEX(U2:U11;VERGELIJKEN(C3;T2:T11;0))
Vergelijken=MATCH when I have to call the match function.
However when I select the column in sheet 2 it can't seem to understand the reference to sheet 2.
=INDEX('JAN2015'!D:D or =INDEX("JAN2015"!D:D don't work.

Upvote 0
try making Range D:D (or better yet, specific cells like D2:D1200) into a named range, then use that named range in your formula.
You can do this by highlighting the range you want (column D or cells D2:D1200 or whatever), then type a name in the NAME BAR, and press Enter. Name bar is to the left of the Formula bar in my Excel. For example, call it DRANGE. Do the same thing with Index(N:N), call that NRANGE. Then type your formula with
=index(DRANGE; VERGELIJKEN(C3; NRANGE; 0))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottdog129

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back