Dynamic chart based on named range gets "locked" ? corrupted??

Swamp Thing

I have a workbook that has evolved over time and has several static charts (based on fixed data ranges).

I am trying to make these charts dynamic and have run into this strange problem. When I go into "select data" and enter the dynamic range names, it adjusts itself correctly according to the named range.

However, if I change an input parameter that affects the length of the range, the chart gets corrupted with the following symptoms:

1. If I click on a series, the series formula does not appear in the formula bar.

2. If I now click in the formula bar, no cursor appears and it refuses to take any text input

3. If I go into select data and look at the formula, I find that the workbook part of the series formula has become [0]. For example,
'my_workbook.xlsm'!my_range has become [0]!my_range and this happens for the x-values (categories) and the y-values

4. If I create a new sheet and set up a new chart, it works perfectly and continues to work fine.

5. If i copy this good chart into the old sheet "bad" the same problem happens with the copy.

Has anyone experienced this, and is there a solution?

Thank you,

s.t.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
I have run into the same problem in another project, so I'm bumping this up with this additional information: the problem occurs when the dynamic range refers to a different sheet from the one the chart is on.

I have worked around it by creating a copy of the original data in the same sheet as the chart (e.g. = Other_Sheet!a1) then defining my dynamic ranges off the copy.

Has anyone noticed this and found a solution?

Thanks,
S. T.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back