Why put "+" in front of a formula

fzhou

Board Regular
Hello everyone,

I have seen many formulae with "+" in the front, could anyone explain to me why? Sometime I also see "+0" in the end, meaning force the result to be a number?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
see it does not highlight anything its just signs the positive signs and when u want to start with a formula and in hurry u can use either
+ and - sign and later on when u have finished the formula they apper after "=" sign....

Saurabh

Upvote 0
2 reasons. First ,it is a carry over from Lotus 1-2-3 where you used the + sign rather than the = sign ti indicate a formula. Second, when entering formulas with mostly numbers, you can use the numeric keypad and one hand rather than finding the = sign.

Upvote 0
saurabh726 said:
see it does not highlight anything its just signs the positive signs and when u want to start with a formula and in hurry u can use either
+ and - sign and later on when u have finished the formula they apper after "=" sign....

Saurabh

Yes, but Excel will convert + to =.

Can you give us an example of what you're asking about?

Upvote 0
Once again, yes, you can use + to start a formula but I doubt you've seen it in a worksheet because Excel will convert + to = as soon as you hit enter.

Upvote 0
Once again, yes, you can use + to start a formula but I doubt you've seen it in a worksheet because Excel will convert + to = as soon as you hit enter.
Kind of: +1+2, will appear as =1+2, but +A1+2, will appear as =+A1+2.

Smitty

Upvote 0
fzhou said:
...Sometime I also see "+0" in the end, meaning force the result to be a number?...

Yes. It effects coercion from a text-formatted number or logical value to a number (with logical values: TRUE --> 1 and FALSE --> 0).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Solitario

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back