Two-Way Lookup, NOT Using Matrix

tjthom

Hello!

I am trying to use a formula to first Search vertically within a column for "VALUE A", then search within the row of "VALUE A" for "VALUE B", then output "VALUE C" from row 1 of the column that "VALUE B" is located within. Here is a photo of what I would like:
ExcelLookup.jpg

I have found something similar to this, but it requires that the lookup value be the top row of the reference/array. In my situation, the output will always be above the second lookup value (value B). Here is an article that describes something similar, but it is NOT WHAT I WANT: How to Use INDEX MATCH MATCH

Does anyone know of a formula that I could assemble that would search above the second criteria as shown above?

ADDITIONALLY... I would like to create a second formula that will search for the last "value B" in a row and return the resulting time of that as well. Essentially, the first formula I need is described in the picture above, but I would like to create a second, separate formula that gives me the latest time. Value B represents an assigned task someone will be doing, and I want to output the start and end time of that task, for that person.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide! I'll take suggestions even if they are not full answers/solutions!!!

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Here's one way to do it.

Excel 2010
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP
1Value A7:007:157:458:008:158:308:459:009:159:30
2Alumni Ambassador 2
4Value B
7First Time
88:45:00 AM
10Last Time
119:30:00 AM
13Alumni Ambassador 1
14Alumni Ambassador 24.034.034.034.03
15Alumni Ambassador 3
16Alumni Ambassador 4
17Alumni Ambassador 5123456789
18Alumni Ambassador 6
19Alumni Ambassador 7abcabcaad
20Alumni Ambassador 8

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet1

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
A8=INDEX(G1:AA1,MATCH(A5,INDEX(G1:AA20,MATCH(A2,C:C,0),0),0))

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Array Formulas
CellFormula
A11{=INDEX(G1:AA1,MATCH(2,1/(INDEX(G1:AA20,MATCH(A2,C:C,0),0)=A5)))}

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

You'll want to put these in your preferred locations, and you'll need to adjust the ranges in them to match your sheet. The "Last Time" formula is an array formula, so confirm it with Control-Shift-Enter. Let me know how they work for you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jin kazuya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back