SOLVER: gives different solution depending on start value

mikewray

Hello, I have set up the solver to maximise the return on investment by changing certain variables and constraining others (see table below). The problem is the solver does not come up with the optimum solution, although it always gives an answer that is within the constraints. The solution it gives depends on the starting values. For example, if I used the data in the table below and changed cell B2 to 21, it comes up with a solution of a Return on Investment of 26.6% (B2=24, B3=9, B8=10.6% and B4 and B5 stay as is). However, how can this be the optimal solution because as shown below the return on investment with variables below is 27.3%. I have tried to change my degree of convergence (added a few more zeros in) and also ticked automatic scaling) - it gives a different answer but the same problem (gives a different solution depending on your start values of your variables. Any advice...I would like it to give the same solution no matter what the start variables are and then I can play with the constraints to get the optimum solution. Many thanks in advance...
Book2
ABCD
1ScenarioBychangingConstraints(commaseperated)
2Pmtperiod(mths)56x<=70,int,>=12
3Settlement(mths)6x<=50,int,>=6
4%settlement95.0%x<=0.95
5Principal1,000,000>=0.2*B6,<=0.5*B6
6Propertyvalue2,000,000x
7InterestRate2.0%
8Repaymentrate19.0%x>=0.1,((B7+1)^12)-1
9RVatsettlement1,600,000
10ROI27.3%MAXIMISE
11Startdate30-Jun-04
12LTVend80.0%<=0.8
13LTVbegin50.0%
Sheet1

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Re: SOLVER: gives different solution depending on start valu

Here's the hand-waving answer...
Solver works by using methods to get to a local minimum. Think of a slice through a landscape, with a range of peaks and valleys. IN terms of a Solver solution, the optimum result is the lowest point. Trouble is, Solver (and other minimisation routines) expects you to start in the correct valley -- it won't go over the hill, looking for a valley with a lower point. So... you need to start in the correct valley, which means giving a starting point near the correct result. IF you start too far away from the optimum result, you'll never get there.

Note: Just before viewing the result, you can click to see a Solver report. That provides a useful snapshot of where you started and finished, and where you hit the limit on one or more constraints.

Denis

Upvote 0

Thanks Dennis...glad it was me not going mad. Should I do anything with precision, tolerance, convergence or use automatic scaling (in options). I know when I change these values it generates different solutions. I know about the reports the solver produces...they are useful...

Right, forward to the right valley I go...

Upvote 0

Denis's point is very valid for *non* linear problems. The solution may depend on the starting values provided. This is true not only for Solver but for all software that use that class of algorithms for problem solving. This class of problems yield what is known as a local optimum.

On the other hand, if you specify a *linear* problem, you are guaranteed an globally optimal solution. It means that no other combination of values for the variables will give you a better result, though you may get the *same* result from different combinations of values. The easiest way to see if your problem can be classified as a linear problem is to use the Solver's Option dialog box (in the Solver dialog box click the Options button). In there check the 'Assume linear model' option. Then, use the Solve button. If Solver detects non-linearity in your model, it will complain.

An added benefit of a linear model is the dramatic improvement in speed.
mikewray said:
Thanks Dennis...glad it was me not going mad. Should I do anything with precision, tolerance, convergence or use automatic scaling (in options). I know when I change these values it generates different solutions. I know about the reports the solver produces...they are useful...

Right, forward to the right valley I go...

Upvote 0

Thanks Tushar. It has a problem with it unfortunately ("conditions for linear model are not satisfied")...so it looks like I will have to go for the local optimum i.e. be in the right valley. Any other ideas?

Upvote 0

I realize this is an old message string...but did anyone come up with a better solution on this? I am having the exact same problem described here. Except, it is very difficult for me to enter a starting value in the "right valley." My optimal solution is based on changing 6 different cells, and there are too many combo options for me to make a "best valley" guess. Other ideas?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back