Shading a shape in a chart

kayshiri

Hi everybody
I teach geometry using excel charts. My problem is how to shade a shape, which is the same as shading a region enclosed by a number of lines. This technique will also enable me to teach linear programming very effectively.

Example

1 3 5 1
1 1 6 1

This gives me a triangle with vertices at (1 , 1), (3 , 1) and (5 , 6). I therefore need to shade this region (triangle). The simpler the code the better because I am a "low-end" user for whom too many lines of code become threatening. Come to my rescue.

Cheers!
Kayshiri

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
My problem is how to shade a shape, which is the same as shading a region enclosed by a number of lines.

Hi Kayshiri

I think an easy solution is to add a polyline. Since it's a shape you can then fill it with the colour you want.

Upvote 0
Hi PGC
Thanks for your response to my inquiry. Unfortunately I am such a "low-end" user that I have to research on what a polyline is. I would appreciate it if you can provide some sample code and I will start from there.

Kind regards
Kayshiri

Upvote 0
Hi Kayshiri

You have an example in the excel vba help. Look for the AddPolyline Method of the Shapes object.

Luckily, the example is a triangle, like you want.

If you have problems post back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The first approach is to add a polygon and fill it. Problem is, shapes like this don't like to stay in the place where you put them, and especially if your axes resize themselves, all bets are off.

The way to do this is to follow my tutorial Fill Under or Between Series in an Excel XY Chart. I'll walk you through it.

The trick is to partition the triangle's outline into a "Lower" bound and an "Upper" bound. I've done below that with the data in B3:D6 and the accompanying scatter plot. The blue line shows the lower bound and the orange line the upper bound.

To fill the triangle we need to use an area chart. We'll use a stacked area chart with an unfilled area below the lower bound and a filled area between upper and lower bounds. The data we need is in B18:D23. The first column shows the new X values needed: I've added zero and 6000 as outermost bounds on the chart, and multiplied the X values in B4:B6 by 1000 to produce the X values in B20:B22. The factor of 1000 provides the resolution we might need if there are fractional X values in the original range. For Y values I used zero for X=0 and X=6000. The Blank Y values in between equal the original lower bound Y values. The Fill Y values equal the divverence between the upper and lover bounds of the original range (for example, D20 has the formula =D4-C4).

If I make a stacked area chart with this data, I get the first stacked area chart. It's close, but a bit distorted. But when I change the X axis to a date axis, and do a little extra formatting, this gives me what I want. I just need to combine the two charts.

6v6954i.png

Start building the combination chart by selecting the first set of data (B3:D6) and inserting an XY Scatter chart, using the lines without markers option. Format each to use the same color lines, such as the dark gray I used (top left chart below).

Copy the second set of data (B18:D23), select the chart, go to the Home tab, click the dropdown arrow on the Paste button, and click Paste Special. Use the New Series option, Series Data in Columns, and check Series Names in First Row and Categories in First Column, but don't check Replace Existing Categories; these settings are important (middle chart in top row).

Select each of the added series (Blank & Fill) and assign them to the Secondary Axis. This adds a secondary Y axis; if necessary add a secondary X axis (last chart in top row).

Convert both of the added series to stacked area (right click on the series, select Change Series Chart Type, select Stacked Area; first chart in middle row). Don't worry that the Blank series is above everything else.

Format the secondary (top) X axis as follows (middle chart in middle row):
- Axis Type: Date Axis
- Base Units: Days
- Major Units: 1000 Days
- Axis Position: On Tick Marks

Format the Blank area series to use No Fill, and the Fill area series to use a bit less gaudy fill color (last chart in middle row).

Finally clean up the chart (bottom chart): Delete secondary vertical axis on right edge of chart. Format secondary horizontal axis at top of chart to use No Line and No Labels. Delect legend.

b3g74xf.png

Upvote 0
Thanks Jon. Indeed it works from the explanation you have given, but I will need a lot more time to understand the steps. I have read some f your wonderful innovations and solutions before, but because of my low level of expertise I was not able to persist. Once again, thank you.

Kayshiri

Upvote 0
Kayshiri -

If you tell me where you had a problem, I can try to help you with it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back