Is it arrays? pivot? both? Arrgh!

Dalai Pookah

I know there's a simple solution to this, but my mind is blocked. I have a spreadsheet with 5 cells of data in a row. Based on these 5 cells, I generate 4 calculated values.

I have another spreadsheet with a list of 50 situations. Each situation has cells that correspond to the 5 cells of data (above). I would like to apply each of the 5 sets of data to the 1st spreadsheet and populate the remainder of the rows with the 4 associated calculated values.

It's not a normal lookup function as the 1st spreadsheet changes dynamically with the data.

A better analogy would be if I had 50 loans with different maturities, interest rates, initial amounts. I have a sheet that calculates an amortization table for the loan. I then would like to update my sheet of 50 loans with, say the principal balance, principal paid and interest paid in 2015.

I've tried a number of approaches and know it must be elegantly simple, but for the life of me I don't know what it is.

Thank you,

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
A workaround would be to use scenarios to change the loan variables using formulas like =INDEX(Loans!$d$2:$d$7,INDIRECT($D$1)), where d2:d7 were the various principal values and $D$1 held Loans!d2 and could be changed to represent each loan. The same formula would be used for each of the other loan variables. If I set up a scenario for each loan (setting $D$1 equal to each loan's line) and generated a Scenario Pivot Table with the values I wanted for each loan.

In this case, I'd have to set up a scenario for each loan and then run them all in a pivot table. Is there a direct way to generate the pivot table without multiple scenarios? Or to use an array in the scenario run all instances?

This is new ground for me.

Upvote 0
You could use a 1D data table where the (row or column) input value selects a row of input variables from a table.

Upvote 0
The input variable is a selector for all of the other variables. You can have as many as you want.

Here's a trivial example with four inputs. Note that the answers in the data table are the same as those in col F.

A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
F​
G​
H​
1​
Input Set
a
b
c
d
2​
1​
2​
5​
1​
4​
46​
F2: =SUMSQ(B2:E2)
3​
2​
2​
4​
3​
5​
54​
4​
3​
4​
4​
1​
5​
58​
5​
4​
5​
2​
4​
2​
49​
6​
5​
5​
1​
1​
4​
43​
7​
6​
5​
1​
2​
1​
31​
8​
9​
Select
10​
1​
2​
5​
1​
4​
B10:E10: {=INDEX($B$2:$E$7, A10, 0)}
11​
Model
12​
46​
13​
E12: =SUMSQ(B10:E10)
14​
15​
Select
46​
B15: =E12
16​
1​
46​
B16:B21: {=TABLE(,A10)}
17​
2​
54​
18​
3​
58​
19​
4​
49​
20​
5​
43​
21​
6​
31​

Upvote 0
I get this. The issue in this analysis is that each input set is applied as input to another spreadsheet, which analyzes the inputs and generates 4-5 outputs. These are the outputs I want to apply in my result table. None of these can be expressed as a single equation. This is why I took the scenario approach. If there is a way to apply the date table approach, then I'm all for it.

Upvote 0
The model can be as complex as you like; it can use 100 worksheets to calculate the results. E12 would typically refer to one of the outputs on another worksheet.

Upvote 0
Ah, but here's the rub: One worksheet generates the outputs. What I'm trying to avoid is the 100 spreadsheets. This is not my exact situation, but it's analogous.
If I have 50 loans, the terms are on SS1. SS2 generates the amortization schedule for a loan. Let's say I have 3 result fields on SS2, say principal balance, int paid and principal paid in a given year. I know I could set up 50 amortization tables and generate the results and have them input on SS1 so I could use SS1 to run a mail merge report to each borrower.

I'm looking for a more elegant solution where I can accomplish it using only 1 SS2. Right now scenarios seem to be the only approach I've found other than a macro (which I'm not allowed to use here). If I set up a scenario for each loan, then use the pivot summary, I can generate the results. Anything more elegant? If I could somehow harness data tables to do this, I would, but I can't get my head around how.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back