Indirect Funtion reference not updating

Ronanm

Board Regular
Hi

I am using the Indirect function (which works nicely) to Sum three separate tabs on a summary tab. The problem is that when I drag the formula to the other rows and columns in the summary tab, the cell reference doesn't change, even though there are no $ signs to make it absolute.

So below, where it says "!D$3:D$24")" and also "'!E$3:E$24")))... It keeps looking at Column D or Column E as I fill the formula across to the other columns. Any ideas?

Code:
 IF(SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&names&"'!D$3:D$24"),$D3,INDIRECT("'"&names&"'!E$3:E$24")))=0,"",SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&names&"'!D$3:D$24"),$D3,INDIRECT("'"&names&"'!E$3:E$24"))))

Thanks

Ronan

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Hi XOR LX

Thanks for that. That was an impressive article, but I got a little lost half way down.

I got as far as
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIFS(OFFSET(INDIRECT("'"&names&"'!D:D"),,COLUMNS(C:$D)),INDIRECT("'"&names&"'!E$3:E$24"),""))
and that returns a #VALUE!

The file is at https://www.dropbox.com/s/lbh6lnyuhmcye4b/ResourceSheet_Example_email.xlsx?dl=0 and the new formula above is in Cell E3, with the original formula I had in cells F3, G3 etc...

Regards

Ronan

Upvote 0
It seems that E$3:E$24 must change to F$3:F$24, etc. when you copy the formula. Assuming that D3:D24 is fixed, try:

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&names&"'!D3:D24"),$D3,INDIRECT("'"&names&"'!"&CELL("address",E$3:E$24))))

Upvote 0
Many thanks for the formula Aladin, it was just what was needed. To be honest I've not used CELL("address", before, so that's something I will be looking into. But great, perfect, works a treat.

Thanks

Ronan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back