IF statement to return a single digit based on the info in 5 cells

Cemslie87

Hi,

I'm afraid i've reached the limit of my understanding in Excel and in need of some help.

Basically i have a trend analysis that takes information from 20 worksheets (5 per week over 4 weeks) within a workbook. At the end of the week i have a weekly report that (stupidly) requires a different trend analysis that gets sent off to the bosses in the format they want it - not the better format we have, but i digress.

Long story short, I need the weekly report, more specifically a single cell to look at 5 cells within the trend analysis. If any of those 5 cells have a ' ü ' in it then the cell in the weekly is to show a 1 to denote this was achieved in week one.

I have managed to learn a lot to make my trend analysis show what i want it too based on the information in the 5 reports within a week. However, this one is testing my abilities and winning so far. What i have been using follows, but doesn't give me the true solution i need.

In Cell within weekly report
=IF('Trend Analysis'!$U7:$Y$7 = "ü", "1", "")

You'll notice that i'm using the wingding font for a (tick), similar to the problem above, I also cant figure out how to get the trend analysis to not insert the "ü" and insert a O. If anyone can help with that, you'll be an absolute star!

Thanks in advance for any hints or tips.

C

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Try this:
Code:
=IF(COUNTIF('Trend Analysis'!$U7:$Y$7, "ü")>0,"1", "")

For inserting the O - how do you insert ü in the first place?

Upvote 0
Try this:
Code:
=IF(COUNTIF('Trend Analysis'!$U7:$Y$7, "ü")>0,"1", "")

For inserting the O - how do you insert ü in the first place?

Its literally a direct "= cell blah, from sheet Bloggs" But because the font is a wingding it returns the ü. in the training reports the (tick) denotes that they are performing the task at standard. and on the trend analysis, i need the cell to produce a O denoting (Operational standard)

But to all of the replies, they all work. Thank you very much for your quick response.

If one of you wouldn't mind, i would like to learn further. In plain english (rather than Microsoft speak) can you break down everything your asking it to do so i may understand?

Thank you once again! saving me from a lot of stress!

Upvote 0
I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but in order to insert the ü character you need to hold down the ALT key and type 0252 on your numeric keypad (with numlock applied, of course).

Upvote 0
My English is too plain, it seems :)
I am totally lost - I cannot understand what you expect as a reply.
Could you elaborate with simple words?

Upvote 0
One final question, and thanks in advance;
I have 4 weekly reports, as stated above, inputs to these are usually cumulative, e.g. if I input a 1 in the cell in week one report, it must remain there throughout the 4 weeks worth of reports. This indicates that a trainee has completed this learning point on week 1 even on weeks 4 report.

Hopefully if i write a formula in plain english it might express my desire;

'In sheet two, cell A1' =the number in CellA1, sheet 1, UNLESS, IF(COUNTIF('Trend Analysis'!$U7:$Y$7, "ü")>0,"1", "")

basically unless the formula in sheet two produces a result then copy the weekly report prior.

The end result in week 4 will be 25+ cells that have sporadic numbers ranging through 1-4 to highlight where a trainee has achieved that learning point

I really hope this makes sense...

Thanks again folks!

Upvote 0
Basically so my weekly's may look like this;

Week 1
Training Objective
1.1 -
1.2 - 1
1.3 -

Week 2
Training Objective
1.1 - 2
1.2 - 1
1.3 -

Week 3
Training Objective
1.1 - 2
1.2 - 1
1.3 - 3

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msilva74

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back