SAP & Excel

JKaz

Hello Folks,

Does anyone have any advice on where to find books or readings on using SAP and Excel? I believe you can access information straight from the SAP system without first running the SAP program and then exporting your data, but I am not sure.

Additionally, would anyone have suggestions on books that are an excellent starting point for an individual who would like to learn the basics of SAP (specifically financial controlling). I do not have a programming background but I would like to learn.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Joe

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Hi Joe,

I Googled Sap and excel and got 3 interesting links at the top of the first page. Check them out and see if they do what you need.

Not sure about the books, I have never used SAP myself.

Denis

Upvote 0
Hello Denis,

Thank you for your response. I have actually taken a look at these links previously and that really sparked interest in the capabilities of excel with SAP.

I was hoping there was literature that showed how this process worked in depth so I can gain a full understanding of the procedures that are taking place.

Thank you again for taking the time to look.

Joe

Upvote 0
Good luck with that one!!!

I've been reporting from SAP HR/Payroll for a few years now and the closest I've got to integrating with Excel is exporting reports. We don't have SAP BI installed or anything fancy so there may be tools included with that that allow it. I think the complexity and security of SAP is a major barrier.

I'd be interested to hear if you come up with anything though.

Dom

PS I wouldn't be half as good as I am with Excel if it wasn't so blooming difficult to get info out of SAP so it's not all bad ;)

Upvote 0
there must be a thread floating around in here somewhere where I show code to connect to SAP from within Excel to query data... not freely with SQL, but via the SAP equivalent of a stored procedure, namely a RFC: remote function call. These RFC's need to be implemented in SAP by an SAP admin, but once defined, you can use them in Excel...
Worked brilliantly for me, but I don't have all the details of what needed to be done on the SAP-side. I only did the Excel-side...

searching the thread now...
having trouble finding it... search doesn't seem to work properly :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
search fails: when I search for posts from myself on keyword SAP, it finds nothing... but when I browse my posts, I do find some, but not the one I need :(
When going througs all my posts, I can only see the 300 most recent ones, and it dates from before that I guess... sorry

Upvote 0
Yes Domski, that's the one :)

Why didn't it turn up in my search? How did you find it??

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back