Android App that can edit XLSM files?

SusaninHouston

I'm finally moving into the smartphone world and am looking for an Android app that will allow me to access or edit XLSM files. Several claim to handle XLSX files, but virtually everthing I will want to look at is XLSM.

Can this be done?

And if XLSX is the limit, what is the best Android app for large and complex files?

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Just a virtual slap on the wrist for asking here...
How so? I don't see any negative replies...

Upvote 0
That wasn't a hand slap, that was just moving it to the appropriate forum. When it is moved, a temporary link is also usually left in the other forum as well, directing people to its new location (so it can actually be seen from two forums for a short time - I usually set the link to be out there for a full week).

Discussion type questions are often moved to that forum. Some people often think that it means that there is a less chance of it being answered, but that is not the case. The Excel Forum moves very fast, and a question like yours is very specific and targets a very small audience. Those questions often get buried very quickly on that fast-moving Excel Forum. On the other forum, they stay on the front page for quite a while. Also, many of us use the "Zero Reply Posts" functionality to look for new, unanswered questions every day. So regardless of which forum your post is in, it will show up in that list.

I think you question is just very specialized, and targets a very small audience, which is why you haven't gotten many replies. I don't know how many people are trying to edit Excel macros on an Android.

Upvote 0
I understand your comment, but I can't agree with you, Joe.
Just because there are not many responses, doesn't mean it targets a small audience. There actually are a lot of similar questions in many different forums about this specific subject, but just not enough answers...

And we're not trying to edit macros on an android, why even go there. We're trying to make use of macro-embedded functionality in Excel in combination with the touchscreen capability offered by an android tablet. So the real question remains: after installation of an .xlsm-file on an android tablet, which application or viewer allows us make use of it's full functionality?

Upvote 0
OK - So 'wrist slap' was a bit of a stretch... But I posted to the busy board knowing I'd hit an audience of hard-core Excel users, many of whom would also be smart phone users who would want the capability to use full-featured Excel models on a smart phone or tablet. I did figure my question would sink like a rock, but that it would get a 'search' hit on occasion, and eventually, someone would post an answer.

I'd certainly not write VBA macros on a phone. But could see minor edits, and could definitely envision running a macro on an existing workbook. My real question is that I'm wanting to be able to support my clients when on the road, and if I can't see replicate their issues, my ability to help is curtailed.

Upvote 0
And we're not trying to edit macros on an android, why even go there.
It may not be what you are trying to do, but I am not sure that the original OP meant. Based on their title "Android App that can edit XLSM files?", and their original question, I think it could go either way (do they just want to edit the data on the file or the actual code itself? I don't think that is quite clear). If I assumed incorrectly, then I apologize for that.

Just because there are not many responses, doesn't mean it targets a small audience. There actually are a lot of similar questions in many different forums about this specific subject, but just not enough answers...
Once again, I think you misunderstand my comments. I am speaking from the viewpoint of members on this board. We have a very large community here, if there is a straightforward question that is posted and sits for a long time without any replies, it often means that most members cannot relate to it (years of being on this board has shown me that our members have never been shy about commenting/replying if they have anything to add - even if it is just agreeing with the issue). So I think that the lack of replies suggests to me maybe only a small percentage of our members try editing XLSM files on an Android. That is what I meant by "small target audience".

Upvote 0
OK - So 'wrist slap' was a bit of a stretch... But I posted to the busy board knowing I'd hit an audience of hard-core Excel users, many of whom would also be smart phone users who would want the capability to use full-featured Excel models on a smart phone or tablet. I did figure my question would sink like a rock, but that it would get a 'search' hit on occasion, and eventually, someone would post an answer.
Most of our "power" users are savvy enough to check that forum, and do so regularly!;)

And like I said, we usually leave a temporary "shadow topic" or link in the forum it was originally posted to, and either way, it will show up in the "Zero Reply Posts" listing.

Where it really is advantageous to have it in the Dicussion forum, is let's say that you get a reply, but it really isn't all that helpful. Then the thread sinks fast. So after a few hours, it is pages back, and since it has a reply, it no longer shows up on the "Zero Reply Posts" listing. So unless you "bump" it, it probably sinks into oblivion. However, on the Discussions forum, it will stay on that front page and probably will get many more looks after that first reply than it would if it was in the Excel forum (especially since we are an International forum and many users might not log on until hours after the question received its first reply).

Now, I am not advocating that users post all their Excel questions to the Discussions forum (some users try that because they say the Excel forums move so fast). It does need to meet the criteria of that forum. Yours did meet the criteria of a "discussion type" question. I don't know who originally moved it, but I agree with them that what they did enhances the chances of replies (they were trying to help you, not punish you).

Sometimes, questions just don't get answered (because their may not be a good answer, or very few people are knowledgeable about the specific issue). It happens to me. I don't post many questions anymore (I spend most of time answering and Moderating), but when I do, often times their isn't an answer, or at least not the answer that I was hoping for.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back