Windows automatic updates creating havoc

jdsouza

Board Regular
Good day

This refers to automatic windows updates -
April 13th, 2012 -
Found certain of my Excel projects not opening giving 'Compile Error in Hidden Module'.

After consulting with MS India, we did a windows restore for the previous day and things returned partly to normal.

The affected projects had listview controls inserted in the designer of the userforms.

MS reported that they created a FIXIT for this. However, the FIXIT did not work on my PC (files saved on Win7/Office 2010 in .xls format would not work on another PC with XP SP3/Office 2003). MS asked for 45 days to solve. As nothing happened, I deleted all my listview controls from the designer and instead created them at run time ( sample code : Set cCont = Crewlist.Controls.Add("MSComctlLib.ListViewCtrl.2", "LV" & id) and it resolved the problem.

July 13th, 2012 -
This time certain Excel applications stopped working (morning after the windows update of the previous night) with debug pointer stopping on combobox code. Doing a windows restore to previous day resolved the issue confirming that the cause was the auto windows update. As a safety measure, I removed all the comboboxes and used the data validation drop-down instead.

Today August 17, 2012 - after windows auto updates of previous night.
Found my Excel products with the listview controls (created at run time) showing no listviews at all. Debugging showed the pointer escaping the sub at the creation line ..
Set cCont = Crewlist.Controls.Add("MSComctlLib.ListViewCtrl.2", "LV" & id).

Called MS India and the tech engineer did a remote session of my PC to confirm that it was the windows update that was the problem and a 'ticket' has been created to escalate the issue.

My products are being used around the world. Did any one else experience the same problem today or since around April of this year?

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back