Frustration Plus Plus. Excel Crash on Save As... Word too...

Ticcer

Hi all. I've had this issue for a few weeks now. Dunno why it started but I finally uninstalled office 2010 totally, cleaned my system, then reinstalled. Everything worked fine. I ran all the updates, Sp1, and others from the Micky$haft update site, and now I'm back to the same problem.

I see all sorts of solutions online to do with printer selection, COM addons, etc, etc. I've tried them all, and nothing works to abate the problem that I can find. It's obviously one of the updates that is causing it, which one, I don't know, but it is mighty frustrating and is holding up my work in a major way.

Sometimes I get a message to do with initializing places or some such thing... I can't rightly remember, but others have had the same this pop up too. Suggested solutions to that regarding network issues as Excel tries to index all possible locations, don't seem to apply. Besides, I don't operate a home network.

The issue occurs when I open a document too... Excel and Word... the programs just stop responding before the file dialogue gets a chance to pop up.

Anyone have any ideas or know what the issue is??

Cheers

Ticcer

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
I built it in late 2005. I worked for an IT distributor at the time. I've replaced nothing but the DVD writer, the CPU heat-sink and one other heat-sink on an nForce 4 Epox MB. It still suffices for my needs. Will update in the new year.

Upvote 0
Update: They are looking up an XP Pro workaround... in other words... they have as much an idea as I do. Comforting. lol

Upvote 0
Okay. Well it's pretty safe to say that Office products generally speaking don't crash when saving files ... so you either have found a rare bug, in which case you're probably doing the best thing already which is talking to Microsoft, or you have something else going on with your PC. You could try re-installing the entire OS, if you can - it sounds drastic but if you don't mind downloading updates for 4 hours and re-installing your software it's not a difficult thing to do. But since MS is working with you see what they have to say first. XP only has (last I heard) one more year of official support and in my opinion Win7 is a fairly painless move if you like XP.

Upvote 0
Apparently Microsoft are aware of this issue with the crash on open, save, save as. Reinstalling the XP is a days work and then some, taking into account all the other software I use, and all their respective updates. It may well come down to that... I've done it a million times.... just a Pain in the rectum, is all. XP is at the tail end of the support life cycle, yes. I'll wait and see what Win 8 is up to before jumping off the XP ship, me thinks.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Ok. All sorted. Went round in circles with Microsoft. Anywho... Bit the bullet and wiped the computer. Reinstalled XP and office. That particular update causing the issue with office, does not effect the new installation negatively. Yay!

I had a memory jog event... I trialed a thing called Xobni (Inbox backwards) for my android phone. It came with an Outlook addon. I didn't like the software, so I uninstalled it. After that something went all screwy with .NET framework. i.e. a shell extension I use called QT TabBar stopped working due to coree.dll missing.... or something like that. I can't be 100% sure, but I think Xobni might have been the root of the issue... then again, I might be clutching at straws here.

Anyway. All happy and productive again... save for the slow road to reinstalling all the software I use from time to time.

Cheers for the considered assistance.

Ticcer

Upvote 0
Problem:
I think I found the problem... Update KB2553260 (mso2010-kb2553260-fullfile-x86-glb.exe)!!

I cannot begin to tell you how grateful I am to you for finding this and posting it! I spent a ton of time looking into this months ago to no avail, so I gave up. I figured out how to live my life without ever having to use the Open and Save dialogs in Word or Excel. Then today I was trying to change a formula in Excel, but every time I did, Excel crashed on me. Unlike the open and save commands, there was no workaround, period. I did some more searching and read another (what felt like) hundred or so "answers" on different sites that all tell you to uninstall some add-in (that doesn't exist) or to bring up the Open dialog in order to right-click somewhere (why don't they understand that's impossible since that's the point when these Office programs crash?!?). Then I finally came here and found your reply. Your answer should be at the start of the internet.

I was able to delete that specific update, KB2553260, and my problem was fixed immediately!

Just a quick note for anyone looking for this in the future, I had to check the "Show updates" box in Add or Remove Programs (mine wasn't checked by default) in order to find it in my list. It was underneath the section titled "Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010." Obviously, your mileage may vary.

Upvote 0
Small problem, here. The computer this happens with is my work computer, so I didn't even realize it, but at some point after I removed it, it re-installed itself. I'm one of the lucky ones who has the ability to remove it myself, but I'm curious if there's any way to prevent it from being installed, so I don't have to constantly find and remove it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back