PowerPoint Problem

robertgrumbles

I have an excel file with several tabs and I want to embed information from different tabs on different slides of a powerpoint. I would rather not link the powerpoint and excel file, but would like to embed because I'm trying to make it user friendly for other people to use and I think linking with other files may confuse some.

I've been trying to figure it out but have been unsuccessful. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
If I understand your question correctly, you want to have the ability to change the data from within PowerPoint but you don't want the image linked to the Excel file?

Upvote 0
Yes - exactly. I have tables and charts that I want to be able to give users the ability to change on the fly in a print friendly format.

Upvote 0
I'm just throwing out an educated guess here, but if you right click on your "Excel Object" in PowerPoint and go to Worksheet Object > Convert and choose a different format (maybe Binary Worksheet), maybe that will unlink it from the original file (I'm using 2007 right now, there might be a better way to do this in a later version of Office)

Upvote 0
Also you could insert a new Excel object (Insert Ribbon tab > Object > Microsoft Excel Worksheet) and copy your spreadsheet stuff into the embedded worksheet. Not sure how complicated your worksheet is so this may or may not be a viable solution.

Upvote 0
I will check Jolicharts. Thanks!

Chris - the problem is that when you embed in powerpoint it seems like you can only use one workbook at a time. You can't use the same embedded workbook for multiple slides. So say I have a table on tab 1 that I want to show in slide 1 and then a chart that's linked to the table in tab 2 that I want to show on slide 2. You don't seem to be able to do that. But maybe I missed something so was hoping one of you gurus would be able to show me a way to do it.

Upvote 0
Right now it looks like I'll just be best served formatting the spreadsheet to look like the powerpoint slides and then have a macro print to pdf for me.

Upvote 0
Ok, I see what you are trying to do. PowerPoint wasn't really designed to be an extension of Excel to do analysis. I always recommend fiddling with numbers inside Excel and then exporting final copies of your data/charts into PowerPoint (as a picture). Is there a reason you have to give this data out inside a PowerPoint and not just in an Excel sheet? Here is a link that can show you how to automate copy/pasting Excel data into PowerPoints with a macro. You can easily do the same for Excel Charts as well.

Upvote 0
Again - just trying to make it user friendly. The people in my company are not very excel savy...or powerpoint savy for that matter. So I was trying to have everything in one place instead of having to do the calculations in a separate excel sheet and then export it or link it etc. I want to be able to make it so they just have to input the data and then analysis spits out in a printer friendly format. I think I will probably just do it out of excel and design the sheets to look like slides.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back