Recommended book or online tutorial for VBA (including 2010 at minimum)

mikecro

I have been writing VBA for some years when needed. But I now want to make sure there are no gaps in my knowledge.
Think I need a good book.
I have been a professional programmer in my time (mainly FORTRAN 77 and Assembler, then C . Mainly in the 80s) - so not looking for an intro to programming book.

Any pointers?

I don't think I am looking for a Reference book - have got the online help. The equivalent of Kernighan and Ritchie (definitive C book written by the authors of C) would be ideal if it exists.

Mikecro

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
I have been writing VBA for some years when needed. But I now want to make sure there are no gaps in my knowledge.
Think I need a good book.
I have been a professional programmer in my time (mainly FORTRAN 77 and Assembler, then C . Mainly in the 80s) - so not looking for an intro to programming book.

Any pointers?

I don't think I am looking for a Reference book - have got the online help. The equivalent of Kernighan and Ritchie (definitive C book written by the authors of C) would be ideal if it exists.

Mikecro

or here..

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/genera...s/780271-excel-visual-basic-applications.html

Upvote 0
Just for the record and to say thank you. I ended up buying the Mr Excel book (VBA and Macros - 2013 edition) Half way through

I also went looking for material on coding standards and best practice and found the powerpoint here helpful - Excel VBA Best Practice

Upvote 0
Just for the record and to say thank you. I ended..........

Hi,
. Thanks for the feedback, I am learning part time VBA mainly now by trying to answer threads here. You might be surprised, as I was/am , if you try a few simple ones how well you do. And I learn the most when a profi jumps in later and does a better solution than mine. I am coming to the conclusion that in VBA virtually everything is possible and no one person knows everything. So practice is the only real way to improve knowledge.
. (But I still do find it helps me to sleep sometimes if I watch some of those Video Play lists in the Thread link I gave you. At least it is a more worthwhile alternative to watching the Telly)
Alan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back