VBA Books: General or Excel-Specific?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'd like to get a VBA reference book. I'll never be a serious VBA developer. It will be just for personal use for writing little macros. Most of them will be for Excel, some for Word. Would you all recommend one general VBA book or one for each application?

Mastering VBA for Microsoft Office 2013 by Richard Mansfield looks like a good general book.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Upvote 0
I recommend: Excel 2013 Power Programming with VBA by John Walkenbach (Apr 1, 2013). I always like Kindle edition. $28.24 at Amazon.

Upvote 0
Jennifer,

Based on the topics that come up on this site, VBA is mostly used for Excel, then Access or Outlook and then Word.

I suggest if you can use VBA on Excel then using it in the other applicatioons will be relatively easy. Yet again I have not tried using VBA in these other applications.

My favourite book is- Excel VBA Programming for Dummies, by John Walkenbach.

FarmerScott

Upvote 0
@farmerscott: while VBA coding is the same, the Object Model for Word, etc., is somewhat different. I think understanding the Word Object Model is a learning curve in itself.

Personally, I think Excel lends itself to programmatic manipulation more easily than the others. I'd focus on Excel/VBA first.

Regards, TMS

Upvote 0
Hi Hiker,

just wondering if you and others have thought about putting your list as a stand alone 'sticky' thread.

The need for background information on learning Excel, VBA and courses comes up regularly.

cheers

FarmerScott

@TMS, noted. Will have a look at using VBA for Word.

Upvote 0
wigi,

Thank you very much.

just wondering if you and others have thought about putting your list as a stand alone 'sticky' thread.

farmerscott,

Thanks for that.

Something like that was discussed way back when???, but, the problem is that the list, and, the links would have to be updated on a regular basis. I do check the links every once in a while.......

And, the list is on several other sites like MrExcel.

Upvote 0
Hi Hiker95,

It is just too good a resource to be burried in all the threads. It should stand alone where people can easily see and access it- IMHO.

cheers

FarnerScott

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back