How long to learn VBA if self teaching?

Nuttymut

As the title

How long will it take to learn vba to a reasonable standard if I self teach

Thanks in advance for any advice

Nuttymut :)

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
How long does it take to run a marathon?

Depending on your personal ability, the quality of information that you have to learn from, what you would call a reasonable standard, etc, the answer could be anything from weeks to years.

Upvote 0
How long does it take to run a marathon?

Depending on your personal ability, the quality of information that you have to learn from, what you would call a reasonable standard, etc, the answer could be anything from weeks to years.

Where would I look for information that's of a good quality?

Can you recommend any websites of books please?

Thanks in advance

Nuttymut :)

Upvote 0
Where would I look for information that's of a good quality?

Not in the macro recorder :p

The main thing that will teach you is how to write long winded and inefficient code.

One of the biggest problems with self teaching is trying to create a stable learning structure, a lot of the books that I've seen tend to drag things out too much, with what seems like a few hundred pages showing you a handful of ways to produce a messagebox saying "Hello". Before you get halfway through you find yourself skipping pages to find something different, ultimately missing some useful information buried in the pages you skipped.

Trying to learn by doing rather than working from books can mean that you start learning a slightly more advanced level of coding before you know enough about the basics which can leave you over-engineering simple tasks.

Information source:- Been there, done that :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Not so stupid I think.

When I started to teach myself VBA in about 1999, I already had a grounding in Fortran, C and (a bit of) Assembler, plus programming in RPN on HP calculators. I reckon it took me about a month to thoroughly understand the basics - in those days (Excel 5) the program came with a book on VBA.

However, I am stil learning - sometimes I answer questions on here and others come up with better solutions. There is currently a question on the MVPs forum here (hidden unless you are an MVP) that I just do not grasp.

The macro recorder actually is your friend but look here Beyond Excel's recorder

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back