What is .Net can anyone please explain

Eisasuarez

Hi

can someone explain what .net is. I have seen explanations but none makes sense

Can someone explain or show a diagram so i can understand what it does.

I have seen asp.net, vb.net, microsoft.net etc and its confusing

i know Vba,Sql, c++,c# etc are languages you write in a program

but what is .net.

is it like the vba window where you write vba code? Is that called vb.net framework?

I can't explain .Net better than any of the myriad articles on the web, I'm afraid.

VBA has nothing whatsoever to do with .Net, so what is the purpose of the question?

Hi

It was a case of understanding how the structure worked as every other day I was hearing the word .net framework and was curious to what it is/does

I found this brilliant analogy and thought id share it

You have languages such as

C#, VB.net, C++ etc

This is a language just like English, French, Spanish

Now you could say the same phrases, same words etc in all the languages but the computer wont understand it as ultimately it only understands 1’s and 0’s

When you write the code/speak the language, this gets compiled into a separate section (Intermediate language) so now this IL (shorthand) understands the source code in 1’s and 0’s however the Machine may not fully understand it.

This is where the .Net Framework translates all the code regardless of any of the languages they speak/write and ensures that the machine understands it.

It is like the interpreter.

So to summarise

If you speak in French and were speaking to a person who understood only English
The words you say will be written on a paper and broken down to simplify it (like speaking to a baby). Now this is when the interpreter who understands both the baby language and English will translate the baby language to the person who speaks English

I hope someone who is a beginner, will find this very useful as I did.

You write a Language that supports .Net
This is Compiled to an Executable file (Executable files are what Computers understand).
.Net understands the compiled code regardless of which language you use.
OS – The computer will understand whatever is passed by the .Net

Ps Rory,

This brings me on to another question. What type of things are stored in a DLL/Library to make life easy for programmers. I know the .net also stores info like the DLL.

I hope you can explain in more detail

Thank You

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Basically code that you can reuse.

Upvote 0
Basically code that you can reuse.

Hi Rory

So would you things like date, text functions etc would be stored in a library as these can be used over and over again?

in vba we may use the date, cdate, mid, instr functions etc many times hence they are in the vba library ?

similarly they will also be in a library for other programs

All the codes in the languages understood by .net can translate into machine code to the operating system

is that concept correct?

ps with my earlier post where i have given an explanation i have read, is that correct because i dont want to be misguiding and giving the wrong answer

thank you

Upvote 0
Basically yes.

I won't comment about .Net as I've never paid any attention to the structure of the framework since I do very little .Net programming.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB_Unlv

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back