Difficulty opening Spreadsheets

RDell

For years I have been able to take my Excel spreadsheets home from my office to work on them at night. Recently I found that I can no longer open the spreadsheets at home. Word documents saved in the same folder will open but the spreadsheets just appear as a grayed out box. I've downloaded and installed all the recent Excel 2013 updates but no luck. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Hi RDell,

If you have a look at the workbooks when in work, do they open ok? It could be that a macro is running upon the opening of the workbook that checks the ENVIRONS to see if you are logged into a work domain and closes the workbook if not.

Regards

Aidan

Upvote 0
I have also seen instances of Excel being opened on computers with two monitors and then closed and reopened on a computer with a single monitor and Excel (inexplicably) plots the spreadsheet window on the non-existent 2nd window (or at least where it suspects it would be).
You can see if this is the issue by going to View -> Arrange All -> Tiled

This will force Excel to replot any windows based on the current Excel window dimensions.

If you prefer a macro solution, I just remembered I have this little gem saved in my Personal.xlsb workbook so it is always available for just this issue.

Code:
Sub WindowReset()
'Brings a workbook that is off the screen (due to two-screen going to single screen) back to the top-left corner of the current window dimensions.
ActiveWindow.Left = 1
ActiveWindow.Top = 1
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi RDell,

If you have a look at the workbooks when in work, do they open ok? It could be that a macro is running upon the opening of the workbook that checks the ENVIRONS to see if you are logged into a work domain and closes the workbook if not.

Regards

Aidan

Thank you for responding.

The workbooks at work open fine. Today I saved my files on a thumb drive and the file opened fine. The files should be available to me at home from our system at work (it has always worked in the past.....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back