How to best manage multiple workbooks with common VBA code routines?

bnj1776

Board Regular
Hello,

I'm currently up to six workbooks (add more soon) that work together and share a number of functions.

My question is how can I best manage updates and distribute changes to those functions to each of the workbooks?

Currently I update the "master workbook" and then manually copy to all the others, or at least that is what I'm trying to do.

Or is there some magic way to call a function that exists in another workbook?

Before I reinvent the wheel sorting this out, are there any suggestions for how to manage this or tools to use?

Thank you.
Brian

So what are the "functions" that you update and distribute between all the workbooks, exactly?
Any common bit of code I can wrap in a Function routine called from worksheet event and/or a userform.
Such as...
fnCreateTableOfContents
fnDefaultPathFetch
fnDefualtPathStore
etc...

fnImportModule (which really imports worksheets from another workbook) ... is the main one that I'm currently updating & syncing between two workbooks.

I'm still in development here, so constantly tweaking code and coping to other workbooks where I use the same function.
With a couple thousand lines of code so far, I was just looking for some simple solution / time saver. Not available it seems.

On another note though....
I only started my VBA journey five months ago and have only now have discovered Visual Studio / VSTO?
Just took this VBA project as is and did not look is my only lame excuse.
Seeing comments about how VBA is not dead, but on the steps up to the gallows is worrisome.
VTSO is not new, but it sure seems to be a secret club?
There is only one post here that contains "VSTO" in all of MrExcel (until now, lol).
So now I'm wondering if I should be using that instead of VBA at this point.
I just do not know enough about VSTO, putting me back to where I was five months ago on that.
Did just order a couple of VS/VSTO books though.

You have a great deal more experience with Excel than I do, so would you use VBA or VSTO for a fair sized Excel project?

Of course my next question is, "How hard of a switch over might it be for the code I have now?"

I'm very happy with this forum, so not easily finding a MrExcel version of VSTO out there gives me pause too.
By "not finding", I mean the numerous Google hits on "how to" searches that come up with MrExcel, which is just impressive btw.
But then again, I am probably not asking the right questions for VSTO just yet.

For now, back to the VBA to keep the football moving down the field .....

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Personally I would stick with VBA. If you want a self contained workbook, you can't use VSTO anyway. Also, VBA is not going anywhere for a long time - that would be commercial suicide.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back