Dynamic Cross References in Word

Coldaine

Hello I'm looking to find a way to create cross references to page numbers that change when the text they point to changes pages. What I have is a very long form with references such as "see page 8" that I have to modify for every state, and then for every product we have. When I insert or delete sections the pages of course get all jumbled and I have to go through and correct them.

Right now in word 2013 I go insert -> Cross references, and can easily select the numbered heading I want it to refer to, and that I want it to give me a page number. The issue is that these don't stay updated, they're only correct when I originally insert them. Is there a function that makes these page references dynamic? Also, since these are printed documents, there's no need for them to be hyperlinks or anything fancy.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Hello

From the Web:

Updating cross-references

Cross-references, such as page or caption numbers, do not update automatically when you make changes to your document. To update an individual reference, click on it and press F9 or right-click and select Update Field.

To update all references in a document, select Edit – Select All (or press Ctrl A), then press F9 or right-click and select Update Field.

You can set Word to always update cross-references before printing your document. Select Tools – Options and click the Print tab. In the Printing options section, select Update fields.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back