Excel Processing Slowdown: Double-Click / Double Enter Bandaid

Bill Bisco

I'm using a spreadsheet that has a lot of Volatile formulas and arrays. As a result, typing anything into a cell will result in a cell processing wait of about 8 seconds. However, clicking twice, or pressing enter twice, etc. will shortcut the processing and display the cell content.

I'm advocating this be our organization until we can convert some of these spreadsheet operations to VBA.

Has anyone else adopted this same Double-Click / Double Enter Bandaid approach to long cell processing times?

Thanks,

Bill

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
What you're doing is interrupting the calculation process, so some cells may return erroneous/out dated results.
If you really don't care if the workbook is 100% up to date, put the calculations on manual. Only those cells relevant to the one you modify should update (I believe.. there are some intricacies to calculation updating that I'm not particularly strong on).

Upvote 0
Starl is correct. I would suggest changing your formula calculation option to manual. Then when you are done updating cells just hit F9. This is by far better than double clicking to interrupt the calculation, as you will know that no dependent formulas have been updated, whereas using the double click method one does not know how far along the dependency tree the calculation has gotten.

HTH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back