Excel Help functionality unusable.

DRSteele

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Can someone please help me?

I have Office 365 with the current version. The Excel Help functionality has been altered and I can't get it to work properly when working with functions.

Prior to the recent updates, Help would open up in a new window on top of Excel, and you could keep it open to use it as a standalone shell. This was invaluable when composing a large formula full of functions that you might need guidance on.

But try this: type =sum and then TAB, click on the underlined word SUM in the screen-tip and the Help screen will open up on the right side. The problem is that you can't scroll or do anything in the Help screen until you take Excel out of edit mode. That won't do! Large formulas with lots of functions need to be suspended and then put back into edit mode after you've perused the Help topic.

Worse, try this: click on the fx in the Edit bar to open up the Function Wizard. Click on the ? mark and the sand-timer will appear for a second yet then nothing will happen. Now invoke any function and try the same thing with other ? mark or the underlined Help on this function and still nothing will happen.

Just what is going on?

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Yes, I have the same issue. Happened after one of the updates. Haven't found a fix though.
Windows 10 office 365.

Upvote 0
The August update did nothing to fix this issue. Searching MS's community boards is useless too --- try getting help on the word "help"!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquim_Baptista

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back