Goodbye ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haluk

Rules Violation
Because of the fact that the written proposal related with the so-called Armenian genocide has been accepted by the committee in US, from now on I have decided to stop my activites on this forum, to protest against this fact.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Sorry to see you go.

However, it's sad that you chose to make a political statement on a forum that is deliberately non-political.

Denis

Hi Haluk,

I am sorry to hear of your decision. You are a very talented coder and I, for one, will miss your contributions.

A couple of observations...<ul>[*]I had never heard of the Armenian Genocide until you mentioned it here. And while not a true history buff, I am probably more knowledgeable than the average American. I would bet you $100 that less than one American in 100 has ever heard of it. Indeed, I'd bet you $20 that less than one in a thousand has. This may be getting a lot of press in Turkey. But it has not gotten any press here so far as I've heard.[*]The first two people to respond to your post were an Aussie and a Brit. Bill's a Yank and while we are may be a majority; one of the things I enjoy about this forum is getting a chance to interact with folks from all over the world. It exposes me to bits and pieces of cultures that I would not otherwise come into contact with in my day-to-day living.[*]Don't know who "the committee in the US" is. I would speculate that no Mr Excel member does. Have you ever seen anyone here whose location is Washington DC? Nope. 'cause DC is the seat of our federal government. In other words things like Excel (a tool for real analysis using real numbers) are anathema to folks in DC (a place of foofoo analysis and numbers that have no connection with reality whatsoever). I would be amazed if your protest is seen by a dozen people in DC or even in politics anywhere.[/list]Again -- I respect your right to make your decision. I just don't think that withdrawing from an *Excel* forum will have any influence. It only means we won't hear a greater diversity of voices in the future. I thank you for all of your contributions here over the years and I wish you the best of luck going forward. We'll leave the "welcome mat" out in case you ever decide to come back for a cup of coffee (and maybe some VBA :wink: ).

Best regards,

I agree that it seems an odd place to make such a protest. Alas I also am unaware of any of the details surrounding this but wish you well.

It seems a bit strange that a proposal should have even been made to recognise this tragedy, which occurred when? Nearly 100 years ago.

As Greg rightly points out, whilst it's the US House which has adopted the resolution, no-one in America knows anything about it. And until the resolution was passed, probably no-one outside of Turkey knew anything about it. So now we drag up ancient history and bitterness to achieve what? Disharmony. I just wonder what Congresswoman Pelosi's motivation is.

Enough rant on a non-political site, that is also international.

Instead of cutting off ties with those that are NOT "in-the-know", why not express yourself and enlighten your point of view and how it has affected you, your family, your community, and your country.

As well, what the US government does is not always a direct indication of how the American Public feels. Trust me when I say there are MANY people here in the US, citizens mind you, that feel just as vicimized by the US government as many around the world do. I don't happen to be one of them, at least yet, but they are here.

Either way, suit yourself. I don't think boycotting an Excel forum is going to do much. Again, I think expressing your view would be more helpful at getting your pint across than boycotting, but, its your choice.

Sorry everyone, I don't mean to trivialize this matter, but we do not discuss politics here. There are other forums for any discussions as such.

Cars, jokes, banter? It's all good. It's either light in nature or it's not happening, here. We've done this before and the result was no lounge. We're not going down this path again.

To the OP, sorry to see you're leaving us, for whatever reason, hopefully you'll return to share with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uzair Tahir Khan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back