What I would like to see in Excel 2016

Minor issue

I'm using Excel 2013 in my current workplace. When using basic filtering, one handy thing is being able to drag the filtering window. Annoyingly, when next filtering the window has reset to its default. It'd be good if it remembered its previous re-sizing.

The name manager does remember its resize. :)

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Re: Minor issue

I would like to be able to turn on and off sheet calculations under the cell properties for each cell.
would help non VBA users with dates and times only updating when they wanted them to.

Intelligence to detect when a user wants to input a date or a text. For example, if a user input "Oct 15", Excel asks the user whether s/he wants to input
1) Date as: 1st October, 2015
2) Date as: 15th October of current year
3) Text as "Oct 15"
Option: Remember this option for the rest of the column.

How about the Insert Function be able to assist with combined functions. so when you enter an argument for the INDEX function and for your Row you type Match and the Function argument would understand and continue to assist you are you walked through you formula. and not just for that one example but for any argument.

Ability to change the Alt shortcut key for items in the ribbon without using VBA or an add-in. E.g., change Paste Special from Alt-H-V to Alt-A-Z.

Count unique ifs!
Allow a user to filter based on another range. For example if I have 500 accounts I want filtered out of 100,000 rows, I can just select them instead of doing something like a vlookup or match to find non N/A's and then filter (the number of times a day people do this is absurd)
Create a basic VBA UI to allow users to start creating macros without knowing VBA. If Access can create SQL code based on a UI, there's no reason excel can't allow at least basic functionality.
Many to many joins on pivot tables and power pivot (or remove both and force users to use a database tool).
Improve performance or Arrays. something like {sum(if(if())} instead of saying adding 4 sumifs to some 4 columns is really easy to do, and honestly easier to read, but performance can be horrible.

. Hallo.
Good Day to you.
As a general improvement / advancement I would like to see would be to increase the “strange” limit of 255 characters in the VBA Evaluate Method
=Evaluate( StringArgument )
, which ( I find strange ) applies both to the StringArgument and the Output string
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...ons-evaluate-method-255-character-limit.html?

.. maybe there is some fundamental limit here and it is inappropriate for a “simple “ version Update. ??

Any comments? To aid, -
. If I may a short clarification:
. If I understand correctly, the simplest explanation of the VBA Evaluate Method is that it will act on its string argument as if it were a Spreadsheet formula in a cell. So like
=Evaluate(“ Put in here what would be in the spreadsheet cell ” )
But it has the extra advantage over the Spreadsheet that you can include some VBA Code in that argument to help build up that string argument...

=Evaluate(“ Put in here what would be in the spreadsheet cell ” “ & Bit of VBA Code & “ ” )

.... so really powerful, or would be if not having that character limit.
. Wot I mean .. consider this code Sub AlanEvaluate() where I attempt to mimic the VBA Evaluate Method. It makes a very long string formula, pastes that into the cell and then retrieves the spreadsheet evaluated answer, ( a bit more detail to the code is given in the above Thread reference. )
. The equivalent VBA Evaluate Method , line , at line number 120 fails due to the 255 limit ( in this example I am talking about the 255 Limit to the string actually seen by VBA in the =Evaluate( ) code line )

Code:

Rich (BB code):
Sub AlanGotEvaluate()
10  Dim wks As Worksheet: Set wks = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Limit255") 'Sheet Info
20  wks.Range("B2:D6").ClearContents 'Clear contents in output Range
30  Dim lr As Long: Let lr = 34 '34 chosen to make the evalute String a bit longer than 255 Characters and cause VBA Evalute Method to fail.  ( 33 Works )
40  Dim rngE As Range: Set rngE = wks.Range("A1:A" & lr & "") 'Input Range
60  'Build string for Evalute "One liner" which is just a bit too long for Evalute Method String Argument ( 258 )
70   Dim r As Long 'Variable for row
80   Dim EvalArgStr As String '
90      For r = 1 To lr - 1 'lr Step 1
100     Let EvalArgStr = EvalArgStr & "" & wks.Range("A" & r & "").Address & "" & "&"" ""&" 'Concatenate lines with space between
110     Next r
120  Let EvalArgStr = EvalArgStr & "" & wks.Range("A" & lr & "").Address & "" 'Concatenate last cell value without space
130  Let EvalArgStr = Replace(EvalArgStr, "$", "") 'Remove "$" in string to shorten it a bit
140  Let EvalArgStr = "=" & EvalArgStr 'Include the = so as not to rely on the Implicit Default, which makes substitution in Spreadsheet easier.
160 'Output size of Evaluate string argument, and Output Evaluate Argument String as Text
170 Let wks.Range("B2").Value = Len(EvalArgStr) 'Output character length of Evaluate Argument String
180 Let wks.Range("C2").Value = " " & EvalArgStr 'Output Evaluate Argument String ( Add a space so that it comes out as a Text String )
200 'Output result of VBA Evalute Method and Check size of the evaluated String THESE LINES WILL ERROR
210         '    Let wks.Range("C6").Value = Evaluate(EvalArgStr) 'Output results of "Evaluate Range one - liner" to Cell C6
220         '    Let wks.Range("B6").Value = Len(wks.Range("C6").Value) 'Output character length in cell C6
230     'Let wks.Range("B6").Value = Len(Evaluate(EvalArgStr))
250 ' "Alan Evaluate" Put string Formula into cell and retrieve Spreadsheet Evaluate result.
260 Let wks.Range("D2").Value = EvalArgStr 'Output Evaluate Argument as Formula
270 Dim AlanGotEvaluate As String: Let AlanGotEvaluate = wks.Range("D2").Value 'Retrieve Spreadsheet Evaluated Value
280 Let wks.Range("D6").Value = wks.Range("D2").Value 'Paste out Spreadsheet Evaluated Value

End Sub
Code works on this Spreadsheet

Using Excel 2007
Row\Col
A
B
C
D
1​
Character CountStringFormula
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
Limit255

Alan..

P.s.
File with test codes in

https://app.box.com/s/i8h2llddp9nweb17oopdcy6xhr735rtu

When restricted to a single screen I'd like to see something that would make it easier to step through VBA code and see what going on in the UI without lots of moving and fitting windows (still restricted to XP so can't move windows to the side of the screen to take up half page, etc).

Excel 2016 under Options needs a "Turn Off Date Function" selection.

Here's what my data as text looks like:

Code:
-9999   -9999
189  6  239  6
222  6-9999
272  6  272  6
322  6-9999
350  6  333  6
267  6  272  6
156  6-9999
100  6  156  6
128  6-9999

Here's what it looks like after I paste it into Cell A1 and do a text to columns:

Code:
-9    999   -9999
189    6  239  6
222    Jun-99
272    6  272  6
322    Jun-99
350    6  333  6
267    6  272  6
156    Jun-99
100    6  156  6
128    Jun-99

Is there anyway I can turn off Excel's automatic date function?

It is driving me crazy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back