A lot of New Member, Posts=1 today. Or is it?

gardnertoo

I am seeing quite a few posts today (9/16/14) from New Members, where the post in question is their only activity ever. Is this just my lucky day to come upon a bunch of new users, or is there an uptick in new users today?

Is this sort of thing tracked?

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
School started up again not too long ago here in the States, maybe that has something to do with it.

. A general point on the New member / One Post thing. As a beginner I was / am very grateful for the help I received from this board. So I try to put something back by answering threads which I can. Often I come across new member 1 post questions which I can answer. They are often easy enough for me to do, but never the less a bit time consuming.
. After receiving a working solution the OP in some cases seems to “vanish”, that is to say they give no feedback and remain a 1 post member. I live in Germany. Here you can register with free Email providers with any made up name, address etc. very quickly. I suspect it is similar elsewhere. I suspect some people register with such an Email under any made up name and just try their luck with a question never intending to make further contributions to the board, (apart from maybe by by re- registering again under a new name and address for another question!).
. I am not sure wot I think about that? Wot do others think?
. I would be interested to know how many 1 post members the board has?
. Alan Elston (Real Name and registered with my main Email Address!!!)

I have no problem, personally, with one post members. I just assume those people are very light Excel users who just have a single question and move on once they get their response. There are probably even more 0 post users who just use the forum to search and get their answers (which is also fine). Not everyone has the knowledge to be a contributor and, in my opinion, that is the greatest strength of a forum like this--that people of all levels of skill can learn more about Excel.

Well, you were right about the huge number of zero-post users. 80,203 registered users with zero posts. That’s 29% of the registered users! Another 49,336 users have only one post, 18% of the user base. Users with one or fewer posts are 47% of the total.

I did not mean my post as a criticism of new users, I was a newbie myself once and learned a LOT by coming here and simply reading everybody else's work. It was only after a few years of lurking that I finally became confident enough to throw out an answer every now and then.

…….
I did not mean my post as a criticism of new users, I was a newbie myself once…….

. I also did not mean any criticism on genuine newbies. -I still am one!!(or rather Late Starter!!). Just a shame sometimes when there is no feedback
Alan

P.s.
Well, you were right about the huge number of zero-post users. 80,203 registered users with zero posts. That’s 29% of the registered users! Another 49,336 users have only one post, 18% of the user base. Users with one or fewer posts are 47% of the total……….
. - just out of interest how did you find that info?

How did you find that info?
At the top of the page, you see the Community link? Click that, then Member List. You can sort by number of posts. (I was bored at lunch....)

Yup, we call the 0-posters "lurkers". Every forum has them. A lot of forums won't let you view a post solution (or anything withing the [ CODE ] tags) unless you're registered and logged in. It's how they inflate their member base. Ah, such is the forum life. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back