Writing VBA in other programming languages

dispelthemyth

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Due to wanting to learn more than just VBA so i am not typecast as 'that excel guy' i am leaning some other things such as Python and realised that VBA can be replaced and written directly using xlwings - Replace Excel VBA with Python!

What other languages (and add ins) are good for integrating with Excel?

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Due to wanting to learn more than just VBA so i am not typecast as 'that excel guy' i am leaning some other things such as Python and realised that VBA can be replaced and written directly using xlwings - Replace Excel VBA with Python!

What other languages (and add ins) are good for integrating with Excel?

Last time I tinkered with it, I believe the native compiled DLL's, Excel functions, and so forth were created with C/C++

There was actually a very good book on it years ago that may be a tad outdated now:
"Financial Applications Using Excel Add-in Development in C/C++" by Steve Dalton and the publisher was Wiley Finance

If I were to start tinkering with it again, I might dust off that book and try to maybe pair it with C# just because C# seems to be the bestest! LOL

Good thing about the book is it lays bare the somewhat rigid structure that you do need to adhere to for making your own Excel functions that can calculate as fast as the built-in Excel functions. I don't think I would've been able to easily google-my-way to that info.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fyfe54

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back