How many combinations??

Hi Eclectic Lady,

As a visual representation I would suggest saying if you have N variables and are looking to see how many different pairings you can make then you have N distinct first choices and N-1 second choices (since you DON'T want to choose the same one twice and there's N-1 others). Now that gives us N*(N-1)... you could draw a chart if that would help you and scribble out the squares that don't apply.

Now finally consider that Tinsel + Fairy Lights is exactly the same as Fairy Lights + Tinsel, so everything in our table is exactly duplicated. We can say this with certainty because we start with N different options and remove that one from the pool at that point. So we need to divide N*(N-1) by 2

N*(N-1)/2

This is actually the formula for triangular numbers and is considered to be a very elegant mathematical formula which crops up in lots of different scenarios.

For more complicated calculations I suggest using Combin(Number of different options, Number of selections) as others have suggested.

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
For more complicated calculations I suggest using Combin(Number of different options, Number of selections) as others have suggested.

Hi Andrew_UK, IMHO I would still use Combin even for the less complicated calculations because

a) probably because it is a built in function of Excel Combin calculates a bit faster than N*(N-1)/2 (tested using FastExcel V3), although we are talking fractions of a millisecond (with 100 of each formula on a slow work computer for example the average calculation time on a range was Combin (with a row reference for the No of combinations) = 2.934 milliseconds, N*(N-1)/2 (with a hard number for the No of combinations) =3.208 milliseconds (the difference has been consistent over multiple runs and size of ranges with Combin just edging it each run)).

b) given a) then I would go for the ease of use of Combin

Just my personal opinion. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back