Mathematics is NOT a Universal Language

Jonmo1

MrExcel MVP
I say that Mathematics is no more universal than any other language like English, Spanish, French, German, or ANY other language.

I recently came across a meme on Facebook that posed a simple math question and asked the readers to solve it.

2+2*2+2

For this rant, it doesn’t matter what the correct answer is (8). And I’m not actually posing this question to this forum.
What matters is that not everyone gives the same answer.

I noticed that the responses were split about 50/50 between the answers of
2+(2*2)+2 = 8
And
((2+2)*2)+2 = 10
A small fraction even answered like this
(2+2)*(2+2) = 16

So I posted my opinion, If Mathematics is the only Universal Language, then I think we are all screwed. This kicked off a lengthy discussion with a few friends and family.

I read up a little and found basically that Math is considered Universal because 2+2=4 no matter whom in the world you’re talking to. I argued that this is clearly not the case when the problem is more complicated like the posted example 2+2*2+2. A vast majority of people give different answers. The usual response is “Well if someone gives the wrong answer, then they are not speaking Math”.

Well, that is true of ANY language, say English for example. If I say “I’m Hungry” in English, then that means “I need food”. No matter whom I’m talking to. As long as the speaker and listener are both speaking English. If I say “I’m Hungry” and you think I’m saying "the sky is blue", then you are not speaking English.

I then argued that if the language must be learned, and it has rules that must be followed (Like multiply before add), then that language is NOT Universal. Clearly NOT everyone has learned it the same way. The response is “That is true of any language, All languages must be learned”.

Well, that’s exactly my point.

To me, calling a language Universal means that I can walk up to a complete stranger and start speaking it. And that person would understand me. That is clearly not a true condition of Math as a language.

So in conclusion, I say that Mathematics is no more universal than any other language like English, Spanish, French, and German etc.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
The fact that different people get different answers is because they are not following the rules. Of course it needs to be learned. We are not born with the full knowledge of any method of communication, or have any in-born knowledge of "rules".

I think you are misunderstanding what is meant by "universal". It does not mean it does not have to be learned. It is universal in the sense that there is only one mathematical language (do you know of any alternative mathematical languages?). A mathematician in Germany who speaks no English could communicate in "mathematics" to an English speaking mathematician who knows no German. That is how it is universal.

interesting, I didn't learn PEDMAS at school, though i have vague recollections that it was trying to be taught.

I thought ESPERANTO was to be the universal language, at some stage.

Where would we be if we all understood everything the same

My point is How is Math any different from any other language like English?
If both parties speak the same language and follow the same rules, then they can effectively communicate in that language.
That is true of ANY language.

I get 'why' they say it's Universal.
My point is, the reasons they say Math is universal are true of ANY language.

If Math is Universal, why does my computer get it wrong?
On a Windows based computer, open up the calculator application.
Enter the equation
Press 2
Press +
Press 2
Press *
Press 2
Press +
Press 2
Press =

Shows 10.

If Math is Universal, why does my computer get it wrong?
On a Windows based computer, open up the calculator application.
Enter the equation
Press 2
Press +
Press 2
Press *
Press 2
Press +
Press 2
Press =

Shows 10.

because each entry is evaluated as typed, its the right logic, switch to scientific to get the real answer

BTW most know they have a calculator on their smart phones, did you know if you rotate the phone 90 degrees, many change to scientific mode

Last edited:
because each entry is evaluated as typed, its the right logic, switch to scientific to get the real answer
So another rule to follow, must use the scientific version.

Well, a person doing it that way in their head is the correct logic as well, right?

The calculator on my iPhone gets it right.

Clearly Windows and iPhone were created by educated people right?
Why are the answers different ??

So from this I conclude that people of higher education (who clearly speak math) disagree on the rules of math.
Or at least they don't apply the rules in the same way.
Therefore it's NOT universal.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike575

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back