The wizard is unable to access information in the file...

stirlsa

Board Regular
I have an ACCESS data base and am trying to import a 9 MEG Excel spreadsheet into it as a new table.

I have prepared the spreadsheet by making sure the column headings have no odd characters in them and no spaces.

I am getting the message, "The wizard is unable to access information in the file... file C:\my documents\(file name). Please check that the file exists and is in the correct format."

From inside my database I go: File - Get External Data - Import
Then I highlight the excel spreadsheet and click the Import button.

I was able to import another file as a table, but not this one. If it is corrupt, how do I fix it?

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Importing Excel files into Access can sometimes be a flaky and frustrating process.

If I run into a problem like you are having, and cannot figure it out, as a last resort, I will export the Excel file to a CSV text file, and then import the CSV text file into Access. That gives you more control over field formats and usually works better (though it is a little more work).

Upvote 0
Yeah I had problems inporting from Excel as well. Eventually I just gave up and copy and pasted the thing in there. Kind of stone age but it worked.

Upvote 0
solution

Thank you both.

I couldn't face the CSV or the copy and paste and so I got the idea to save the spreadsheet as an earlier Excel version - 3 I believe it was - and that worked like a charm.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back