Error 3218 - Could not update; currently locked

Montez659

I recently built a db and it has been in use at my company for a couple of months now, but something new just cropped up - Error 3218, Could not update, currently locked.

I have combed the internets en masse only to find too many different reasons why this is happening. The one thing that I know is that this may possibly be the first time that two different users were attempting to add records simultaneously (which is something I thought that they were supposed to be able to do after the db split).

So I come humbly to ask for help in correcting this error. It seems that it stems from Record Locking, but I am not really sure what I would need to change to fix it. I would also ask that you be so kind as to explain the answer to me, and why it works (if you can) instead of just the solution; I am here to learn, not just get a project done!

Thanks to many in advance!

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
The one thing that I know is that this may possibly be the first time that two different users were attempting to add records simultaneously (which is something I thought that they were supposed to be able to do after the db split).
No, users can edit the same record at the same time but then it would fail for one of them upon saving because the first to save will win. Adding records simultaneously is something that is possible and is necessary and Access can handle that fine PROVIDED you don't have record locking set to keep that from happening. This is in the Database Options:

The Default Record Locking should be set to NO LOCKS (not All Records or Edited Record) and the checkbox for Open Databases Using Record-Level Locking should be checked. Otherwise it will use a page locking which can keep someone from being able to edit a record that is within a certain proximity of the record being edited by someone else.

Upvote 0
Could you give us more details?

As you've found there are many reasons why this could happen, and it's hard to tell which it is without knowing more.

By the way just because a database is split doesn't necessarily mean something like this isn't going to happen.

Allowing mutliple users isn't usually the main reason for splitting a database.

Upvote 0
Bob,

Each of those settings is as you say they should be. Also, for the form itself, it has No Locks selected. I did read that even though this setting is set, it is only a request and not a demand..."Michael Kaplan points out on his blog site that when a user selects the option to use Record Level locking, that this is only a request, not a demand." http://accessblog.net/2009/12/error-3218-could-not-update-currently.html
Not sure about the code to implement here. I understand VBA well, but not so much with db instructions as I primarily worked with VBA in Excel.

Norie,

Not sure what kind of details you are looking for. When then user experienced the problem, it was when she was trying to add a new record. Even closing the form and db did not prevent it from reoccuring (as a matter of fact, as soon as she went back into the form and tried to type on the first line, the error popped up). I know that another user (in the next cubicle) was entering new records at the same time.

Ok, I just tried to enter a new record from my computer using the fe I have loaded up, and just confirmed that she is in the process of entering a record right now. Her record she is adding has the id of 156, and my last record is 155 before I hit the New Record button. But when I try to type something, the error message pops up.

Upvote 0
Why would you want to jump to code to fix this?

You should investigate all other solutions before doing that.

Upvote 0
I don't necessarily WANT to jump to code to fix this. I am only trying to portray my line of thinking in trying to find out what the problem is.

Is it a problem that "Record Level locking...is only a request, not a demand?" Does it apply to this circumstance? Is it the root cause of that error occuring or is there another reason?

I laid out the fact that this has only occured today while observing that two people were entering record simultaneously. I don't have any Memo fields (per the article referenced above), but I do have one m-v field ( I know, shoot me so I don't have to shoot myself!) but following the order of events, it seems likely that the m-v field isn't the problem (at least in my mind).

But in the end, what other solutions are there to investigate?

Upvote 0
Her record she is adding has the id of 156, and my last record is 155 before I hit the New Record button. But when I try to type something, the error message pops up.

So is this ID field an Autonumber or one that you have created by using the DMax+1?

Upvote 0
I am pretty sure (though not 100%) that that wouldn't have been the problem as I was looking at both of the computers at the same time trying to figure out what the problem was. It is possible, but highly unlikely, that a third person had the db open, but the chances of them having that form open in design view are slim to none.

Bob, any thoughts on that link I posted above?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back