Why do linked Excel sheets need to be opened for update?

alx

Hello,

There is something that I don't understand. To update linked Excel Sheet I need to open the file. Is there any reason? Why is Access not able to do this?

Thank you,
Alx.

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
As for Excel, it requires all the information to be present and available before it will update the sheet. Updating is manual, hence operator has to cause the sheet to update once data is put in, to a degree. By not opening a linked sheet, the current sheet does not find the "linked" information thus dead ends there. In excel the operator has to manually save any new data at some point. Even with auto save, at the end of the session and the sheet is closed, Excel will ask you if you want to re-save the newly input data. With a yes it is saved, with a no it's is not saved and retains the status when first opened. I suspect one could write a macro that causes the linked sheet to automatically open, update, then close itself.

Access is actually updating everytime you add a new record, automatically. This is referred to as "real time." Hence, as one creates a new record, the new record is being save upon moving to the next record. When you close out of an Access session you don't have to "re-save" the info. This is unless you make a programing change that affects the data/records.
Plus, with Access you can create as many tables as you need, link them together with in the same file, thus never having to go outside the current file.

Excel will store only 64,000 records, where Access is unlimited. Access allows records to be stored in a lot tighter, more secure structure, i.e., less likely to get a date in one record mixup in another record. This is referred to as "data integrity.

Hope that helps, know it's confusing, but this is **** interesting stuff.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back