Access Backend requirements

BrianMH

Hi all,

We currently run a few access back ends on our corporate shared drives. Unfortunately the network drives are often very slow and I'm constantly getting emails asking if I can do anything about it.

Instead of hosting the file on the network shared drives (the hardware for this is located off site) I'm thinking of hosting the back ends on a PC that is local to our site. The computer that would be running this is an I3 processor with 4 gig of RAM running windows xp. I'm wondering if this would speed things up at all (since it's on the local network) and if the machine would be able to handle approximately 40 concurrent connections.

Anyone have any experience of this? Any suggestions or issues you've encountered?

Thanks

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
You shouldn't be running Access on a remote share if the data is passing across the wires, anyway. So it should help. Note that XP is end of life - prefer to upgrade that O/S. Note: I don't have experience with more than a few concurrent users. I assume Access should be okay with that, especially if the majority of the users are only reading data.

Upvote 0
You shouldn't be running Access on a remote share if the data is passing across the wires, anyway. So it should help. Note that XP is end of life - prefer to upgrade that O/S. Note: I don't have experience with more than a few concurrent users. I assume Access should be okay with that, especially if the majority of the users are only reading data.

Yeah if my company would spring for the upgrade it would be nice.

Upvote 0
They are still using a lot of XP around here too. It makes you wonder what IT departments are for.

Upvote 0
I think they are there to syphon off money. Considering they charge us like £25 per call and so many times they can't even resolve something (or I have to walk them through the solution since I don't have access to enact it myself). I hated my last office but one thing I did like was the fact that they kept pretty up to date and everyone had the same base system and software.

Upvote 0
I'd be tempted to migrate to a SQL server back end. It offers better performance, scales and handles concurrency far better than access and is much more powerful. Just my two penny worth

Upvote 0
Kyle I'd love that option. Unfortunately I haven't been able to convince the company as of yet to give us access to some space on the server they already have.

Upvote 0
On the note of migrating to an SQL backend if I do get access. My forms are all code based, I don't actually have them linked directly to tables I populate them with VBA and update rowsources with the VBA as necessary. All adding, deleting and editing records is done through code currently.

If I were to migrate to SQL server what modifications and preparations do I need to make? When using SQL server are the tables linked just like they are in the access back end?

Thanks

Upvote 0
That's surprises me a little actually, wherever I've worked IT would always rather Access didn't exist and would look for any reason to get rid of it ;) What about sticking SQL server on the local machine? 2008 R2 SP2 will run on XP

Upvote 0
Yeah I'm thinking of installing the express version on the machine which is why I'm wondering what I need to do with the front end and back end to prepare. How do tables link? Will I need to set up an ODBC connection on each machine that needs to use it?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back