updating an existing database ap

MexOkie

I searched and searched for answer to this in the forum and cold not find one. So I apologize if that has been addressed before. If so... mods please feel free to beat me down with a wet noodle, after you re direct me to the answer of course.

So here is the scoop.

I have inherited an access 2013 database with nice forms and reports; it is not a bad little app, actually. The database is spread out to at least 12 users across the country (I know right). The consensus here is “let’s not fix what is not broken,” my hands are tied. I have to work with what I have. That said, I need some help solving a “minor” issue. I have created new reports, which includes a new table, and now I need to spread the love to the other users.

Problem is I have no idea how to update their existing database. Sadly every users has different data in their tables so it is not like I can simply replace their database with mine.

If I sound like I don’t know what I am talking about is because I don’t know what I am talking about. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
I think I'm understanding that each user has their own access DB linked up to your "main" database.
Split an Access database - Access

The user's DB is just forms, queries, and reports that just pull from your "main" database. If that's the case... there must have been copies of the user database distributed originally. Are all those 12 users - do they have the same types of forms, queries, and reports in each of their DB's?

Presumably you would just have 1 master "main" back end DB and 1 master "main" front end DB. You upkeep the backend DB tables etc and forms and queries in the front end DB. Then as you make a new form or report just update the front end while use the back end DB to make changes to your tables.

You should probably start by asking those 12 users where they have their DB or send you a copy to ensure nothing is different from them from one another - unless you can find the "original" front end DB that was distributed, if I'm thinking that's the way it was done.

Upvote 0
I think I'm understanding that each user has their own access DB linked up to your "main" database.
Split an Access database - Access

The user's DB is just forms, queries, and reports that just pull from your "main" database. If that's the case... there must have been copies of the user database distributed originally. Are all those 12 users - do they have the same types of forms, queries, and reports in each of their DB's?

Presumably you would just have 1 master "main" back end DB and 1 master "main" front end DB. You upkeep the backend DB tables etc and forms and queries in the front end DB. Then as you make a new form or report just update the front end while use the back end DB to make changes to your tables.

You should probably start by asking those 12 users where they have their DB or send you a copy to ensure nothing is different from them from one another - unless you can find the "original" front end DB that was distributed, if I'm thinking that's the way it was done.

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, every user has their own separate database. I've come to the hard realization that I will need to re-distribute the database with all the common data and new reports. I will then need to import their data into the new version. Good thing it is only 12 dbs.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back