Combining two columns in one Table to link with one column (Relationship between Tables)

HerrSober

I am struggeling to make a relationship between these two tables in Access 2010.

To get the same value of the column on the first table I need to concentate two colums of the other one.

I have two tables.

Table "Orders"
Code:
"FirstnameSurname"
"John Smith"
"Tom Jensen"

Table "Costs"
Code:
"Firstname", "Lastname"
"John",         "Smith"
"Tom",         "Jensen"

The logical explaination would be;
Orders.FirstnameSurname = Costs.Firstname & " " & Cost.Lastname

But how do I write that in SQL or make it with the relationship manager so that it actually works?

Appriciate any help! :)

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Spot on with your logical explanation:
Code:
SELECT FirstNameSurname, FirstName, Lastname
FROM   Orders INNER JOIN Costs ON 
        Orders.FirstNameSurname = Costs.FirstName & " " &  Costs.Lastname

Edit: Access won't be able to represent this join in design view. Occasionally Access will change your query so it can be shown in design view - so keep a record of the SQL statement just in case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Spot on with your logical explanation:
Code:
SELECT FirstNameSurname, FirstName, Lastname
FROM   Orders INNER JOIN Costs ON 
        Orders.FirstNameSurname = Costs.FirstName & " " &  Costs.Lastname

Edit: Access won't be able to represent this join in design view. Occasionally Access will change your query so it can be shown in design view - so keep a record of the SQL statement just in case.

Thanks! It really worked! I noticed the thing with design view. I couldn't open that anymore, but luckily I managed to add the rows I wanted by SQL-code anyways.

However, the Design View will be useful for a novice like me, when I start to add more criterias.

Will be be "ugly-coding" and wrong to write a SheetQuery where I have all the relationships or is this normal practice?

Upvote 0
Not sure what you mean by a SheetQuery. Do you mean only putting the relationships into queries and not going into the relationship window?

I'm not sure - building relationships beforehand would help, but not sure what effect it has on the day to day running of the database.

Edit: Not sure what you mean by CheatQuery or HelpQuery either, sorry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not sure what you mean by a SheetQuery. Do you mean only putting the relationships into queries and not going into the relationship window?

I'm not sure - building relationships beforehand would help, but not sure what effect it has on the day to day running of the database.

Edit: Not sure what you mean by CheatQuery or HelpQuery either, sorry.

Nevermind. Thanks for your help. The question of the thread-topic is solved.

I'll guess the answers of this unclear question only requires that I play around some more in Access :)

Upvote 0
However, the Design View will be useful for a novice like me, when I start to add more criterias.
There is a way you can do this that will allow you to use Design View. You just do it in a series of two queries.

In your first query, you just have your Costs table, and you return all the fields and then create a calculated field in it to combine your names, i.e.
Code:
CombinedName: Costs.FirstName & " " &  Costs.Lastname

Then, create a new query that links your "Orders" table with the query you just created (linking the "FirstNameSurName" field to your calculated field). Then both queries can be viewed in Design View, so you can edit either one.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back