Access 2003 Left Join with Subquery Confusion

JeffK627

I'm trying to use a Left Join to a subquery in Access 2003 and it isn't working as expected. When I run the subquery by itself it returns the expected results. Here's the subquery:

Code:
SELECT 
'T0901' AS TestNumber
, NAME AS TestName
, TUBE AS SOFTTube
, '0901 -- ' & [ID] & ' / ' & [NAME] AS TestID
, IIf([LEVEL]='I',0,-1) AS GroupTestIndicator
, ID AS TestMnemonic
, LOCATION AS TestingLocationID
, 0 AS PerformingLabID 
FROM TESTSETUP_STAGING_INDIVIDUALTEST_INFO_FROM_LIS

But when I try to left join this to a table it doesn't return the Name, Tube, Level, ID or Location fields:

Code:
SELECT DISTINCT
Q01.TestNumber
, Q01.TestName
, Q01.SOFTTube
, Q01.TestID
, Q01.GroupTestIndicator
, Q01.TestMnemonic
, Q01.TestingLocationID
, Q01.PerformingLabID 
FROM ( 
SELECT 
'T0901' AS TestNumber
, NAME AS TestName
, TUBE AS SOFTTube
, '0901 -- ' & [ID] & ' / ' & [NAME] AS TestID
, IIf([LEVEL]='I',0,-1) AS GroupTestIndicator
, ID AS TestMnemonic
, LOCATION AS TestingLocationID
, 0 AS PerformingLabID 
FROM TESTSETUP_STAGING_INDIVIDUALTEST_INFO_FROM_LIS) AS Q01 
LEFT JOIN CTTest_TEST_MASTER 
ON Q01.TestNumber = CTTest_TEST_MASTER.TestNumber;

I need it to return a result even if CTTest_TEST_MASTER.TestNumber is null, but if I add a Where clause like
Code:
WHERE CTTest_TEST_MASTER.TestNumber Is Null
at the end it returns nothing at all.

TESTSETUP_STAGING_INDIVIDUALTEST_INFO_FROM_LIS only has one row at any given time.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

OK, here's some sample data:

Code:
INSERT INTO TESTSETUP_STAGING_INDIVIDUALTEST_INFO_FROM_LIS(ID, NAME, ACTIVE, LOCATION, Department, BARCODE, LEVEL, TUBE)
VALUES('H1686', 'HEMATOLOGY', '1', 'ELM', '0', '0934', 'G', 'LVV', )

INSERT INTO CTTest_TEST_MASTER( Testnumber, TestName, SOFTTube, TestID, GroupTestIndicator, TestMnemonic, TestingLocationID, PerformingLabID)
VALUES('T0584',	'CULTURE, HYPOPHARYNX',	'SWB',	'584 -- HYPNX / CULTURE, HYPOPHARYNX',	'0',	'HYPNX',	'NULL',	'0',	'0')
('T0589',	'CULTURE, HSV',	'VTM',	'589 -- HSV / CULTURE, HSV',	'0',	'HSV',	'NULL',	'0',	'0')
('T0598',	'CULTURE, AFB, URINE',	'SCN',	'598 -- AFBUR / CULTURE, AFB, URINE',	'0',	'AFBUR',	'NULL',	'0',	'0')
('T0600',	'ANTI-GLIADIN AB',	'NULL',	'600 -- ANGLB / ANTI-GLIADIN AB',	'1',	'ANGLB',	'NULL',	'0',	'0')
('T0601',	'ANTI-DNA ANTIBODY (DS)',	'SRS',	'601 -- DNADS / ANTI-DNA ANTIBODY (DS)',	'0',	'DNADS',	'NULL',	'0',	'0')

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
It looks your second query lists 8 fields in the "INSERT INTO" clause, but has 9 values in the VALUES listing. They need to match.

Upvote 0
Oops, I see what you mean - you can just take the last '0' out of each line, that was a copy/paste error.

Upvote 0
No, I am talking about your code in post #10:
Code:
INSERT INTO CTTest_TEST_MASTER( Testnumber, TestName, SOFTTube, TestID, GroupTestIndicator, TestMnemonic, TestingLocationID, PerformingLabID)
VALUES ('T0584',    'CULTURE, HYPOPHARYNX',    'SWB',    '584 -- HYPNX / CULTURE, HYPOPHARYNX',    '0',    'HYPNX',    'NULL',    '0',    '0')

Fields in INSERT INTO clause:
1. Testnumber
2. TestName
3. SOFTTube
4. TestID
5. GroupTestIndicator
6. TestMnemonic
7. TestingLocationID
8. PerformingLabID

Values listed in VALUES clause:
1. 'T0584'
2. 'CULTURE, HYPOPHARYNX'
3. 'SWB'
4. '584 -- HYPNX / CULTURE, HYPOPHARYNX'
5. '0'
6. 'HYPNX'
7. 'NULL'
8. '0'
9. '0'

The number of items in these two clauses need to match in order to have a valid SQL statement.
Try running the code you posted there yourself, and you will see the error message.

Upvote 0
Right, I realized what you meant after I replied. I tried to edit, but you got in before I could. Just remove the last ", '0'" from each VALUES line, that was a copy error.

Upvote 0
OK, great. So I was able to load data into both tables now.

Just to confirm that I understand completely what you want to happen, let me know if I have this right:
- You want to insert the record in the "TESTSETUP_STAGING_INDIVIDUALTEST_INFO_FROM_LIS" into the "CTTest_TEST_MASTER" table, using the T0934 code.
Is that right? Where does the "T0934" code come from? Is it any coincidence that it resembles the BarCode value?
- Any you want to check to make sure that a "T0934" record doesn't already exist in the table before inserting it?
If it does, then what?

Upvote 0
OK, great. So I was able to load data into both tables now.

Just to confirm that I understand completely what you want to happen, let me know if I have this right:
- You want to insert the record in the "TESTSETUP_STAGING_INDIVIDUALTEST_INFO_FROM_LIS" into the "CTTest_TEST_MASTER" table, using the T0934 code.
Is that right?
Yes, that's correct.
Where does the "T0934" code come from?
It's calculated from user input. The user selects a code from a list and the "T" is appended.
Is it any coincidence that it resembles the BarCode value?
The BarCode value is what the user enters, so no coincidence. ;)
- Any you want to check to make sure that a "T0934" record doesn't already exist in the table before inserting it?
Yes.
If it does, then what?
Then it shouldn't enter a row. The "Where CTTest_TEST_MASTER Is Null" clause should prevent that - at least it would in SQL Server, which I know much more about than Access.

Upvote 0
OK. This seems to work:
Code:
SELECT 
    'T0934' AS TestNumber, 
    TESTSETUP_STAGING_INDIVIDUALTEST_INFO_FROM_LIS.NAME AS TestName,
     TESTSETUP_STAGING_INDIVIDUALTEST_INFO_FROM_LIS.TUBE AS SOFTTube, 
    '0934 -- ' & [ID] & ' / ' & [NAME] AS TestID, 
    IIf([LEVEL]='I',0,-1) AS GroupTestIndicator, 
    TESTSETUP_STAGING_INDIVIDUALTEST_INFO_FROM_LIS.ID AS TestMnemonic,
    TESTSETUP_STAGING_INDIVIDUALTEST_INFO_FROM_LIS.LOCATION AS TestingLocationID
    , 0 AS PerformingLabID
FROM 
    TESTSETUP_STAGING_INDIVIDUALTEST_INFO_FROM_LIS
WHERE 
    DCount("*","CTTest_TEST_MASTER","Testnumber='T0934'")=0;
Note that you might be able to avoid having to hard-code anything or use input and just use the Barcode to get the value, i.e.
Code:
SELECT 
    'T' & [TESTSETUP_STAGING_INDIVIDUALTEST_INFO_FROM_LIS]![BARCODE] AS TestNumber,
    TESTSETUP_STAGING_INDIVIDUALTEST_INFO_FROM_LIS.NAME AS TestName,
    TESTSETUP_STAGING_INDIVIDUALTEST_INFO_FROM_LIS.TUBE AS SOFTTube, 
    [TESTSETUP_STAGING_INDIVIDUALTEST_INFO_FROM_LIS]![BARCODE] & ' -- ' & [ID] & ' / ' & [NAME] AS TestID, 
    IIf([LEVEL]='I',0,-1) AS GroupTestIndicator, 
    TESTSETUP_STAGING_INDIVIDUALTEST_INFO_FROM_LIS.ID AS TestMnemonic,
    TESTSETUP_STAGING_INDIVIDUALTEST_INFO_FROM_LIS.LOCATION AS TestingLocationID
    , 0 AS PerformingLabID
FROM 
    TESTSETUP_STAGING_INDIVIDUALTEST_INFO_FROM_LIS
WHERE 
    DCount("*","CTTest_TEST_MASTER","Testnumber='T" & [BarCode] & "'")=0;

Upvote 0
Thanks Joe4, that did it. And yes, I will be using the concatenation as you outlined, the TestNumber was just harcoded for testing purposes. Have a good holiday season!

Upvote 0
Excellent! Glad we were able to figure it out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back