Change in Table Name and 1 or 2 fields therein

jim may

I've completed most of my application with a table "tblEquipment" -- and there are numerous queries, forms and reports which are dependent of this object "tblEquipment". Now the client has asked if every reference in whole can be changes to "Inventory" versus "Equipment" beginning with my table "tblEquipment" being changed to "tblInventory". Is there a technique that will handle this? or If I must do this manually, do I start from the bottom and change references there AND Move up, or can I start from the Top and Move down? Minor confusion here... What ORDER to I take in accomplishing this? Thanks,,, Jim

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
I've completed most of my application with a table "tblEquipment" -- and there are numerous queries, forms and reports which are dependent of this object "tblEquipment". Now the client has asked if every reference in whole can be changes to "Inventory" versus "Equipment" beginning with my table "tblEquipment" being changed to "tblInventory". Is there a technique that will handle this? or If I must do this manually, do I start from the bottom and change references there AND Move up, or can I start from the Top and Move down? Minor confusion here... What ORDER to I take in accomplishing this? Thanks,,, Jim

You'll need to check dependencies to get an idea of where to start (The below is for Access 2013, though I think it's similar in 2007 and 2010)

If you click on the Object(Table "tblEquipment") then in the Database Tools -> Click on Object Dependencies it will run and show you all dependencies to this table.

You should be able to see all the multiple reports/forms/queries etc referencing that table or table field and update it one by one.

I think the only way to do this enmass was if all your queries/forms/report written via VBA then you can convert it with Edit/Replace in the VBE should structure change. There might be 3rd party tools or applications that you could download to do this, but I'd personally run through them one by one to check it out.

This should give you a place to start. (Probably from Table -> Queries -> Forms -> Reports is how I would approach it, as long as you fix every reference it should work)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back