Display passwords stored in table

jumbledore

Hi,
I have created a database in access with a table and a form. the table contains usernames and passwords. the form contains 2 textboxes and 1 button. The user has to enter his userid and the password in the respective text boxes and then click on the button. What then happens is that the click event runs a vba code which runs an sql query to match the username in the textbox to the username in the table and then displays the corresponding password in a msgbox. But whenever I run the code I get an error. Below is the code. I would appreciate it if you could help me correct my errors. Thanks
Code:
Private Sub Command4_Click()
    Dim myRecordSet As New ADODB.Recordset
    myRecordSet.ActiveConnection = CurrentProject.Connection
    myRecordSet.Open "SELECT passwords.Password FROM passwords WHERE (((passwords.Username)=[Forms]![passwordform].[Usertext]))"
    MsgBox myRecordSet.Fields(0).Value
    myRecordSet.Close
    Set myRecordSet = Nothing
End Sub
passwords is a table with 2 columns, Username and Password

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
myRecordSet.Open "SELECT passwords.Password FROM passwords WHERE (((passwords.Username) = '" & [Forms]![passwordform].[Usertext])) & "' "

) = '" &
that's a single quote followed by a double quote

& "' "

that's a double quote followed by a single quote followed by a space and then a double quote

but t's a really bad way to do it

do a google search for "sql injection" to find out why

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Never, ever store passwords in plain text. They should at least be hashed and if possible salted and hashed.

That probably came across a bit strong, but you shouldn't do it - there really isn't a valid reason to. You shouldn't know your users' passwords as its a security issue

Last edited:
Upvote 0
myRecordSet.Open "SELECT passwords.Password FROM passwords WHERE (((passwords.Username) = '" & [Forms]![passwordform].[Usertext])) & "' "

) = '" &
that's a single quote followed by a double quote

& "' "

that's a double quote followed by a single quote followed by a space and then a double quote

but t's a really bad way to do it

do a google search for "sql injection" to find out why

so is there a solution to it? Is there a way to refer to or select elements in a table or query and perform calculations/operations on them? For example let's say I want to find the earliest "joining date" in an access-table of "employees" in the "sales department". How do I code this in vba? Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back