MS Access 07 Count query duplication

hblbs

Board Regular
Hi all

I have a query that is mean to count the number of students who have attained a reward and total them up based on student ID. My table is as follows Student ID, Teacher Initials and Reward type. Rows created based on rewards for each student.

Student IDTeacher InitialsReward Type
213BOCH
213CACH

The trouble I am having is that for one particular student (213) the total for the reward types are being doubled up ( CH should be 2 but is 4). Im not sure what is causing this, the original the table is fine however when I join the table with student address details based on Student ID to link address details the total just for this one student doubles up. Is there something in MS Access that stores hidden data that needs to be removed? Or is the query wrong? The SQL code is below if anyone could take a look, I am a novice with Access so can post image of the query in design view if needed.

Code:
SELECT Merit_tb.PupilID, Merit_tb.Type, Count(Merit_tb.Type) AS CountOfType
FROM Pupil_tb INNER JOIN Merit_tb ON Pupil_tb.PupilID = Merit_tb.PupilID
GROUP BY Merit_tb.PupilID, Merit_tb.Type;

Thanks in advance for any help.

Many thanks.

The Primary Key change was to the Pupil_tb table, the PupilImport_tb table didn't have a Primary Key however the Pupil ID was Indexed = Yes (No Duplicates). I'll change these around and see if that helps.

You may be right about the stage that writes to the final table, though I could never be sure as I don't understand most of it.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
I just reviewed how a Unmatched Query that you use to Append records should look like, and your SQL code for that second statement looks valid.

If you still have problems after making those other changes, let me know. We can add some Message Boxes in your code to see if we can find out where the issue may be occurring.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back