Hide paths in hyperlinks

jumbledore

I have created a db that stores the paths of some docs on a shared drive. And these are presented to the user through forms in the form of hyperlinks. So if a user wants to access these docs he has to click the link in the form which opens that particular doc. The problem is the links that the user clicks on shows the entire path of the file. And since I have to give full rights to the users to the folder which stores the files it's possible they could locate the folder through the file paths and play some mischief with the files on the shared drive. So how do I prevent Access from displaying the paths while at the same time provide a link to the users to click on?

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Hyperlinks in Access have four segments separated by # symbol.

Display Text # External File’s Hyperlink Address # Internal Objects Hyperlink SubAddress # Control Tip Text

Second segment is used for external file's Hyperlink Address.
Third segment is used for internal file's (Form, Reports, Queries etc.) Hyperlink SubAddress.

First Segment is the Display Text that shown to the User. The Last segment value will display to the user when you point the mouse over the hyperlink address..

When you create a Hyperlink the First and Second segments will be filled with the same Path Address automatically and will be shown to the User.

Edit the Hyperlink address and change the First Segment value to add the text you would like to show to the user.

More details you can find here.

Upvote 0
Hyperlinks in Access have four segments separated by # symbol.

Second segment is used for external file's Hyperlink Address.
Third segment is used for internal file's (Form, Reports, Queries etc.) Hyperlink SubAddress.

First Segment is the Display Text that shown to the User. The Last segment value will display to the user when you point the mouse over the hyperlink address..

When you create a Hyperlink the First and Second segments will be filled with the same Path Address automatically and will be shown to the User.

Edit the Hyperlink address and change the First Segment value to add the text you would like to show to the user.

More details you can find here.

Thanks but how do I convert my existing records to display text instead of the hyperlink? I have thousands of such records?

Upvote 0
Thanks but how do I convert my existing records to display text instead of the hyperlink? I have thousands of such records?

Thanks I figured that out. I just ran an SQL query:
Code:
UPDATE Table1 SET Table1.Links = "Link" & Table1.Links

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back